[BCNnet] gull surveyors needed

bobolnk at ix.netcom.com bobolnk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 4 10:32:01 CDT 2007

I'm posting this on behalf of Joyce Coffee ... please direct any responses to birds at cityofchicago.org

RING BILLED GULL POPULATION INDEX
The City of Chicago Department of Environment is seeking volunteers to help us with data collection for a ring billed gull population index we are carrying out in partnership with the Chicago Park District on Chicago's beaches during beach season 2007.  The purpose of this index is to determine the number of ring billed gulls that use Chicago's beaches for loafing, feeding and sleeping. The data gathered from this index will be analyzed in conjunction with other research taking place this summer, including the colonial water bird survey and the Chicago ring-billed gull management pilot project, which is gauging differences in behavior between ring-billed gulls with and without young.  The City of Chicago Department of Environment is glad for the assistance of the following institutions on this population index project: Chicago Park District Field Museum Illinois Natural History Survey US Department of Agriculture - Wildlife Services

FOR INTERESTED VOLUNTEERS:
The Department of Environment would like your help in gathering "snapshot" ring billed gull counts, using a survey form. We would prefer that data were gathered at a consistent time at least once a week at a particular beach by the same individual (e.g. 6:00 a.m. every Wednesday morning at Rainbow beach).  (DOE will also be gathering several day-long data samples at individual beaches throughout the summer),  If you are interested, please contact us at  birds at cityofchicago.org and we will provide you with the survey form and respond to any questions you may have.  We will share the index results with you when they are compiled in late September, 2007.   Thank you for your efforts!

Judy Pollock
Bobolnk at ix.netcom.com
Evanston (Cook) IL