[BCNnet] RE: IBET Re: Toxic Dumping into Lake Michigan-request for help

Carolyn A. Marsh cmarshbird at prodigy.net
Wed Jul 18 09:27:50 CDT 2007

As many of you know, I am an environmentalist and bird conservationist
living at the state line in Whiting, Indiana where the BP refinery is
polluting Lake Michigan. This is in response to the IBET and BCN postings.
Also, two people posted on IN-BIRD, the birding list serve in Indiana, about
BP adding more pollution to Lake Michigan. Since I am banned from posting
directly to IN-BIRD by Dr. Susan Hengeveld, this message will never get on
IN-BIRD and most likely Illinois list serve owner, Sue will immediately buzz
my post on IBET as well.  Hengeveld censors all of my posts, has been for
years, and determines what will and will not appear on IN-BIRD. (IN-BIRD is
funded by the University of Indiana in Bloomington.) Just to make sure that
I am not slandering Dr. Hengeveld, I have included her warnings to me below.

I would like to say to BCN (Bird Conservation Network), in the hopes of
reaching birders in Illinois and Indiana,  that I was appointed by BP to be
a member of the BP Citizen's Advisory Committee last year. However, I was
never briefed by BP or any of the organizations quoted in the press about
the increased pollution or the difficult process to protest the increased
pollution. There is also a BP air permit that will add more pollution to the
air that is now before the Indiana Department of Environmental Management.

 I want to convey to birders that I am doing everything humanly possible to
protect our environment in spite of all the obstacles.

Carolyn Marsh, Whiting, IN

  _____