[BCNnet] FW: [BCAlist] Help Stop the Lead Poisoning of Threatened Albatrosses onMidway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge

by way of "Geoffrey A. Williamson" <williamson at iit.edu> donniebird at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 11:06:21 CST 2007

----------
From: bcalist-bounces at lists.abcbirds.org
[mailto:bcalist-bounces at lists.abcbirds.org] On Behalf Of Jennifer Arnold
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 12:15 PM
To: bcalist at lists.abcbirds.org
Subject: [BCAlist] Help Stop the Lead Poisoning of Threatened Albatrosses
onMidway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge

At the November Bird Conservation Alliance meeting, BCA members were
alerted to the situation on Midway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge, where
government buildings are shedding lead-based paint that is being eaten by
Laysan Albatrosses. Jennifer Arnold, Seabird Program Director for ABC, has
been working on this issue, but while some progress is being made the
federal government is being slow to respond. ABC is now initiating a public
action campaign, through which we are asking the public to e-mail the
President to demand that funding for clean up of the buildings is
forthcoming in his 2008 budget. BCA member organizations can help by
spreading word to their own members.

Midway is home to the world's largest breeding colony of Laysan
Albatrosses, a species already listed as globally vulnerable to extinction.
Lead poisoning from the peeling paint is predicted to kill 100,000 of these
magnificent ocean wanderers in the next ten years unless action is taken soon.

Midway is part of the newly designated Northwest Hawaiian National Marine
Monument, yet ABC staff have been informed that insufficient funds are
available to clean up this catastrophe. This situation must be changed now!

The cost for removing the lead paint from the buildings is $5.6 million. It
is the responsibility of the federal government to clean up the hazard
posed by their buildings on a wildlife refuge that is now part of a
national monument.

Please encourage your members to visit
<http://www.albatrossaction.org/>www.albatrossaction.org to send an
automatically-generated email to President Bush.

This is just one facet of the campaign to rid Midway of lead paint, but we
believe a big response will increase the public pressure that we can exert
through the media on the government.

For more information visit
<http://www.albatrossaction.org/>www.albatrossaction.org  or contact
Jennifer Arnold at <mailto:jarnold at abcbird.org>jarnold at abcbird.org.