[BCNnet] Fw: Chicago Park District message re. new beach policy

birdperson at juno.com birdperson at juno.com
Sat Jun 3 19:57:17 CDT 2006

Bird People:
Many of you expressed concern about the information you read in two recent newspaper articles describing the Chicago Park District's new beach policy aimed at minimizing beach closures due to high bacterial levels.  Please be assured that Montrose Beach is NOT one of the beaches under consideration for any of the pilot projects under this new policy.
Attached below is an informational message from the Park District's Deputy Director of Natural Resources, Ellen Sargent, that clarifies the policy.
/Leslie Borns

---------- Forwarded Message ----------<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
This message is in response to the recent newspaper articles about the Park District's new initiatives to keep our beaches clean and to decrease the amount of nuisance species on them this summer.  We hope to clarify some of the confusing information in the articles. Generally, we will be piloting a few different projects along the lakefront this summer and each pilot project will be monitored and reviewed for effectiveness. These pilot projects include using waste containers with lids along the lakefront, installing wire deterrent systems around garbage dumpsters at a few field houses and using border collies at one beach.
The Park District's Department of Natural Resources has never included <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Montrose Beach as a possible site for border collie use because of the natural areas at Montrose.  We are working with a dedicated volunteer community to conserve this area and are committed to continuing to improve this valuable bird and wildlife habitat.
We are currently working with our Natural Area consultants and partner birding organizations to confirm which Lakefront beach will be the most beneficial site for this pilot project with minimal disruption to migratory bird habitats.  A project site has not been confirmed yet; but Foster Beach has been preliminarily identified as a suitable site.
We have discussed this upcoming pilot project with the Mayor's Bird Agenda Committee, which is comprised of numerous local birding organizations.  Based on recommendations from this group, the border collie pilot project will be scheduled for late June to early July, to avoid the sensitive spring and fall bird migration seasons.  We have also gotten recommendations from this group regarding beach site selection, to minimize any impact this pilot project may have on desirable shorebirds or their habitat.
Ellen Sargent
Deputy Director of Natural Resources
Chicago Park District