[BCNnet] Sun-Times article: Bird Watchers Comfortable (with 10new wind turbines in Chicago)

DRD donniebird at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 16:08:18 CST 2006

BCN friends,

On this issue it's important to recognize that the choice is not wind or
nothing--our society, even with increased energy efficiency, demands a
steadily growing supply of electricity. The question we must all ask
ourselves is: if not wind, then what sources of energy should we use?

Environmental Impacts of Electricity Sources

WIND             NUCLEAR         COAL        OIL*      NATURAL GASWind
Nuclear                      Coal                  Natural Gas

Global Warming Pollution                              None
None                         Yes                   Yes
Yes
YYeses                    YYes

Air Pollution                                                      None
None                         Yes                   Yes
LimitedYLes                                                      Limited

Mercury                                                              None
None                         Yes                    Yes
None

Mining/Extraction                                            None
Yes                           Yes                    Yes
YesYes
Yes                            Yes

Waste                                                                  None
Yes                           Yes                    YesYes   Yes   None

Habitat Impacts                                                   Yes
Limited to waste     Yes                    Yes                   Yes

*Foreign policy considerations are significant.Ye

*to YYesesLs                                                      LiLLmited
Yes                               Yes

According to a paper prepared for the 2002 International Partners in Flight
conference, of every 10,000 human-related bird deaths in the U.S. today,
wind plants cause less than one, and if wind power were developed to the
same extent as hydropower today (6% of U.S. power supply), of every 10,000
human-related bird deaths in the U.S. today, wind plants would cause 9.
(Some of this material came from the American Wind Energy Association, an
obviously biased source but the readers can judge yourselves as to its
validity as well as what is the more bird-friendly energy source).

But whether you agree or not that wind turbines are a preferred energy
source, all birders should realize that increasing numbers of wind turbines
are inevitable.  We can stand on the sidelines and rail against them, or we
can be a positive force in the debate by urging that they be properly
designed and sited in areas where the least possible bird mortality will
result.

Donnie Dann

Highland Park/Lake County

donniebird at yahoo.com