[BCNnet] Bird Flu editorial - FYI

Antlitz at aol.com Antlitz at aol.com
Tue Feb 21 21:36:03 CST 2006

It will be interesting to keep tabs on Africa and how the entry of that
virus may play out  -- for the chickens, for the wildlife, for the  people.

It may well be that lower density, active, self-foraging backyard chickens
might be naturally healthier and  more immune (both the individuals and the
population structure) to incubating massive outbreaks of new viruses, in
contract to the sterilized and overcrowded stacked poultry farms in more
industrialized countries.

We have already had at least one avian virus scare in the form of West Nile
a few years back.  There were a few bumps, but overall the wild birds  and
humans survived it together.  It is here to stay and not going  away, along with
Lyme disease, LaCrosse encephalitis, and various other "bugs"  lurking in our
backyards.  The best defenses are still maintaining  good health, knowing the
symptoms, taking sensible precautions, and developing  vaccines and medicines
for those susceptible unfortunates who do become  ill.  These defences have
application for the poultry industry as well as  for the human population.

Regarding your statement Lee:  "We all hope that the tracking and  prevention
measures now being taken are effective and can spare the world from  an
unimaginable catastrophe. If they are not, we all know that rational answers  won't
be enough."

Maybe it's just the relative brevity of my generation's historic
perspective, but it does seem to me that in past years the culture is slipping  away from
tolerance and understanding and more toward strong-arm alarmist  reactionary
urges.  You may well be right -- rational answers won't be  enough, and
emotional appeals might be dismissed as simple whinings of bleeding  hearts -- worst
case scenario would be a public panic of "get the birds before  they get you"
and suffering the inevitable grating media references to Alfred  Hitchcock,
etc, etc.

So I think the best approach might be to appeal to "sanity."  That  covers
and ammeliorates both the emotional and rational side of things.  In  the long
run, drastic measures will only be counter-productive.  Any  information on
what species of birds might eat mosquitoes, flies or ticks, not  to mention lawn
grubs and boxelder bugs?  The notion of the "balance of  ecology" might have
emotional appeal in tranquil times, but it also has a  tangible practical side
that could be brought to bare, with both a logical and  emotional thrust of
its own.

Debbie Antlitz