[BCNnet] Help Protect Funding for Open Space!

DRD donniebird at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 22 06:32:47 CDT 2006

BCNnet friends,

Here we go again.  For the third year in a row, politicians want to raid
funds dedicated to open space and wildlife.  The conservation and recreation
communities united in the past to stop this effort, but regrettably we must
do so again.  Please contact your state legislators to express your support
for OSLAD and NAAF and click "act now" below, to protect Illinois'
environment.

Thank you.

Donnie Dann

Highland Park/Lake County

donniebird at yahoo.com

  <http://www.illinoisactionproject.org/images/g3/iapheader.gif>

 <http://illinoisactionproject.org/tf.asp?aacwc=264387925101275073779>
Forward this message to a friend

Help Protect Funding for Open Space!

Dear Donald R,

As the legislature's budget negotiators attempt to finish the state budget
for next year, there is a new proposal on the table to raid $25 million from
dedicated open space acquisition funds. The proposal would take $20 million
from the Open Space Land Acquisition and Development Fund (OSLAD) and $5
million from the Natural Areas Acquisition Fund (NAAF).

Open space is essential to a healthy quality of life in Illinois. Yet
Illinois recently ranked 47th out of the 50 states in the amount of state
and federally protected lands, and among Midwestern states, the 'Prairie
State' ranks last in the number of state-owned acres per person.

To spend OSLAD/NAAF funds for other than their intended purpose is poor
public policy. It is also not consistent with the purpose for which the
funds were collected.   It is, however, expedient and easy - if we don't
speak up. We need your voice to oppose the sweeping of these funds and to
prevent another raid on money that should support parks, recreation and
natural areas.

In the past two years, several proposals to divert or raid these funds have
been defeated, and the arguments behind the proposed cuts were to use the
money to help meet a budget deficit. Yet this proposal comes at a time when
the state is actually seeing a budget surplus, and the money would be used
to fund new programs

The State has been very slow to appropriate and spend OSLAD and NAAF money
at a time when the revenue into these funds is increasing. This creates the
impression that the money is not being spent.However, demand for these
program always exceeds the money being made available. In the past three
years one-third of OSLAD applicants, with projects totaling $25 million,
have been turned down due to 'lack of funding'.

Please use the link below to send a fax to your State Representative, State
Senator, Governor Blagojevich and Budget Director John Filan and ask them to
oppose the OSLAD and NAAF fund raid.

Deadline for responding: Please take action by Wednesday April 26, 2006.

 <http://illinoisactionproject.org/r.asp?aacwc=264387925101275073779> Act
Now

NOTE: Do not use your email program to forward this message to others as it
has been personalized with your account information. To spread the word
about this issue, please use the "Forward to a friend" link above.

<http://illinoisactionproject.org/sub.asp?aacwc=264387925101275073779>

 <http://www.thedatabank.com>