[BCNnet] County Board and Board of Health Emails

Donald R. Dann donniebird at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 10:15:38 CDT 2005

BCN friends,

The McHenry County Board is meeting tomorrow AM (9-6-05) to decide whether
to make permanent their experimental managed cat colony and TNR (trap,
neuter, release).  I'm attending the meeting and will be speaking against
the proposal on behalf of the American Bird Conservancy.

Sorry for the late notice but your help is badly needed to send emails to
the board members, per the following.

Below are some talking points.

Thanks for helping,

Donnie

Donnie Dann

Highland Park/Lake County

*        Not all of the cats can be trapped for spay or neuter,

*        The cat food attracts more cats, and these areas become dumping
grounds for unwanted pets.

*        This food also attracts rats, raccoons, opossum, skunk, and fox-all
predators of birds and carriers of diseases and parasites that can be
transmitted to cats, wildlife or humans, such as rabies, fleas,
toxoplasmosis, or hookworm.

*        According to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, "Feral
cats do not die of old age.  They are poisoned, shot, tortured by cruel
people, attacked by other animals, or hit by cars, or they die of exposure,
starvation, or highly contagious fatal diseases such as rabies, feline AIDS,
feline leukemia, and feline infectious peritonitis".

*        A Florida resident who tried TNR said "these colonies only prolong
a terrible and disease-filled life that I would not wish on anyone.  The
feral cat colony supporters need to realize that what they are doing is not
humane or compassionate--it is a selfish act of the heart."

*        Local governments who allow or "legalize" managed cat colonies may
be in violation of federal wildlife protection laws, including the Migratory
Bird Treaty Act and the Endangered Species Act.

*        You should also carefully examine the issue of liability if anyone
who comes into contact with cats in legalized colonies contracts a serious
illness or dies from diseases that cats can transmit to humans.  (Such as
rabies, cat-scratch disease, or toxoplasmosis).

  _____