[BCNnet] Fw: IBET Montrose Piping Plover, 7/29 p.m.

birdperson at juno.com birdperson at juno.com
Fri Jul 29 19:37:57 CDT 2005

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From: "birdperson at juno.com"
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:29:51 GMT
Subject: IBET Montrose Piping Plover, 7/29 p.m.

Bird People:

The banded juvenile Piping Plover was still present inside the Montrose Dune Habitat Protection Area from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. today.  Volunteers (who left at 3 p.m. after weeding invasive species and monitoring native plants in the dunes) observed the Plover throughout the day feeding at the shoreline and resting occasionally under the dune vegetation.  The other peeps previously mentioned, mostly Semi-Palmated and Least Sandpipers plus three Semi-Palmated Plovers, were also present.  There was no further sign of the Peregrines.

Sometimes it's hard to believe that on one of Chicago's largest and most popular public beaches, where thousands of people are swimming, sunbathing, fishing, playing volleyball, flying kites, and recreating in many other ways, that migrant birds are also resting, feeding, and regrouping for their long journey south.  When the Montrose Dune Habitat was created approximately six years ago, I was not sure this scenario was possible.  Today I can say that it is.  We are grateful to the Chicago Park District for establishing and nurturing the Montrose Dune Habitat, which provides critical, high-quality stopover habitat for the federally endangered Piping Plover and many other bird species.

Leslie Borns
birdperson at juno.com
Chicago/Cook

Yahoo! Groups Links