[BCNnet] ABC and Capital Hill

Donald R. Dann donniebird at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 09:55:57 CDT 2005

BCN friends,

I recently traveled to Washington D.C. for a board Meeting of the American
Bird Conservancy.  While in the city I met with the legislative assistants
to Senators Durbin and Obama, Jessica Lenard and Todd Atkinson,
respectively.  Both (especially Ms. Lenard) suggested they be informed if
there are pressing local (Illinois) conservation issues that could benefit
from federal funding.  They may be reached directly at their Senate offices,
Ms. Lenard c/o Senator Durbin, 332 Dirksen Senate Office Building, and Mr.
Atkinson, c/o Senator Obama, 713 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington DC
20510.

Some of the discussion highlights at the ABC meeting:

*        Upcoming reauthorization of the Farm Bill and the huge
opportunities for conservation and bird conservation therein.

*        Threats to the Endangered Species Act, both from legislation
recently introduced by Representative Pombo that will essentially gut it,
and to cases moving through the courts that might result in its being
declared unconstitutional.

*        Favorable consideration by both the House and Senate of the
reauthorization of the Neotropical Migratory Bird Conservation Act.  The
question is the level of funding.

*        There has been some progress on the lawsuit over communication
tower siting and lighting, on which the FCC has been stalling.

*        Some east coast states have further restricted horseshoe crab
harvesting in the face of plummeting Red Knot populations and Interior
Secretary Norton is being petitioned for an emergency ESA listing.

Please contact me if you have interest or questions on these issues.

Donnie

Donald R. Dann

President, on behalf of the Executive Committee

Bird Conservation Network

Ph/Fx 847-266-2222

Email donniebird at yahoo.com