[BCNnet] Arctic Refuge under attack

Donald R. Dann donniebird at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 09:51:26 CST 2005

This is especially for BCNnet folks who live in the 13th Congressional
district, represented by Congresswoman Judy Biggert.  It includes portions
of three counties representing the western and southwestern suburbs of
Chicago, stretching from the southern half of DuPage County to northern Will
County and includes a small portion of southwestern Cook County.

Please note the following from the Audubon Advisory and then contact the
Congresswoman with a personal note of support for the Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge.  But even if you don't live in the district let's flood her
office with our calls.  Here is her contact information:

Washington, DC Office
1317 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: 202-225-3515
Fax: 202-225-9420

District Office
6262 South Route 83, Suite 305
Willowbrook, IL 60527
Phone: 630-655-2052
Fax: 630-655-1061

Thanks,

Donnie

Donald R. Dann

On behalf of the Executive Committee

Bird Conservation Network

Ph/Fx: 847-266-2222

Cell: 847-997-1011

Email: donniebird at yahoo.com

EARLY ACTION BY HANDFUL OF LAWMAKERS CAN HELP

PROTECT THE ARCTIC NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE

Pro-drilling special interests and their allies in the U.S. House of
Representatives are putting the screws to a handful of lawmakers who may
very well hold the fate of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in their
hands. They're targeting new Members of Congress and a handful of lawmakers
who have previously voted to protect the refuge -- trying to convince them
to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil and gas drilling this
year. As we write, their first effort is underway: trying to attach drilling
revenues to the FY06 budget resolution - the Congressional blueprint that
sets overall funding levels for government agencies for the upcoming fiscal
year. As you know, this is nothing more than a back door and underhanded way
to avoid a fair and open debate on an issue that is considered one of the
most controversial issues Congress will tackle this year.

This sentiment is not lost on a good number of U.S. Representatives,
including Rep. Nancy Johnson (Republican-Connecticut), who has once again
written a letter to the Chairman of the House Budget Committee, Rep. Jim
Nussle (Republican-Iowa.) Rep. Johnson's letter urges Chairman Nussle to
oppose any and all efforts to include any drilling provision to the House's
budget resolution. Rep. Johnson is encouraging her Republican colleagues to
sign on.

Audubon and our partners in conservation are urging more Republican
lawmakers to sign on, and we're making progress. But more is needed. We need
a real push from folks like you!

Below you will find a list of those lawmakers who have not yet signed onto
Rep. Johnson's letter. If one of these lawmakers represents you, please make
a point to contact your lawmaker's office on this issue today. And if your
lawmaker is not listed, you can still help by continuing to urge your
lawmakers to support efforts that keep the budget resolution free and clear
of provisions relating to drilling in the Arctic Refuge! This simple action
- signing onto Rep. Johnson's letter - will have an enormous impact, as it
will alert Chairman Nussle of the opposition within his own political party
to including drilling revenues in the budget.

Here are the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives who have not yet
signed the Johnson letter:

Connecticut - Rep. Simmons

Delaware - Rep. Castle

Florida - Reps. Mack, Foley

Illinois - Rep. Biggert

Iowa - Rep. Leach

Michigan - Rep. Schwarz

New Jersey: Reps. Ferguson, Frelinghuysen, Garrett, LoBiondo, Saxton, Smith

New York - Reps. Kelly, Sweeney, Kuhl, King, Reynolds

Pennsylvania - Reps. Dent, Fitzpatrick

Virginia - Reps. Tom Davis, Wolf

Washington - Rep. Reichert

West Virginia - Rep. Capito