[BCNnet] Great Lakes Update 8-5-05

Donald R. Dann donniebird at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 07:24:16 CDT 2005

As I reported a month ago, the COMMON TERN nesting season at Great Lakes has
been challenging because of the drought but we had banded 20 birds and were
about to add to that total when we had a major setback.  Sometime during the
2nd or 3rd week of July a family of mink dug under the fence and killed all
the remaining chicks.  3 mink were subsequently trapped and relocated.

As best as we can tell at least 5 birds did fledge but the loss was a tragic
one for the colony, the only such breeding site in the state.  Brad Semel,
our indefatigable IDNR biologist has since reinforced the electrified fence
with another layer of ground fencing and additional electrification to
preclude future attacks.  He also pumped a large amount of additional sand
into the fenced area to add provide the terns with more high ground for
potential nesting areas for the 06 season and beyond.

Yesterday, 8-4-05, the following species were among those observed at the
island:

GREAT BLUE HERON 4

BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON (IMMATURE) 1

PEREGRINE FALCON 1