[BCNnet] Eagles in Chicago?

Stephen Packard spackard@mindspring.com
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 06:42:42 -0600

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

Good news, bad news.

Yes, it's true, that a pair of eagles are nesting in the Calumet area.

But it could be bad news -- that it's gotten all this publicity.
We should be passing the word around that it is not ethical for people to go looking for the nest.
People may see them flying around the Calumet area. Great. They fly long distances.
But people around their nest area could spook them.
Of course, if they eventually establish a regular breeding population in the area, it could well be that some pairs would nest right where lots of  people can see them, as they do in some places in Florida, for example. But while there's just one pair, we should leave them alone.
On the other hand, what a great vote of confidence in Chicago Wilderness, in Mayor Daley's initiative to protect nature in the Calumet region, in the long efforts of the many conservationists who've worked so long and so hard to get nature and habitat in that region recognized and protected.
Congratulations to Jim Landing, Walter Marcisz, Suzanne Malec, the Thismia crowd, Joe and Marlene Nowak, and so many others.

----- Original Message -----
To: BCNnet@ece.iit.edu
Sent: 3/26/2004 5:30:52 PM
Subject: Re: [BCNnet] Eagles in Chicago?

There is an article in today's Sun-Times and I got a call from a reporter at the Tribune looking for details for their version of the story (to be printed).

Randi Doeker
Chicago

In a message dated 3/26/2004 3:30:02 PM Central America Standard Tim, COszak@aol.com
I heard this on the radio this morning.  The DJ said he read it in the Tribune.
Bald Eagles are nesting in the Chicago city limits on the Little Calumet.

Is this true?

Chris Oszak
Fullerton Park FP
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: x-small; FONT-FAMILY: MS Sans Serif"><HEAD>
<META charset=US-ASCII http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=US-ASCII">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">
<DIV><FONT face="MS Sans Serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">Good news, bad news.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">Yes, it's true, that a pair of eagles are nesting in the Calumet area.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT face="MS Sans Serif"></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">But it could be bad news --&nbsp;that it's gotten all this publicity.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">We should be passing the word around that it is not ethical for people to go looking for the nest.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">People may see them flying around the Calumet area. Great. They fly long distances. </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">But people around their nest area could spook them.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT face="MS Sans Serif">Of course, if they eventually establish a regular breeding population in the area, it could well be that some pairs would nest right&nbsp;where lots of &nbsp;people can see them, as they do in some places in Florida, for example. But while there's just one pair, we should leave them alone. </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>On the other hand, what a great vote of confidence in Chicago Wilderness, in Mayor Daley's initiative to protect nature in the Calumet region, in the long efforts of the many conservationists who've worked so long and so hard to get nature and habitat&nbsp;in that region&nbsp;recognized and protected.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Congratulations to Jim Landing, Walter Marcisz, Suzanne Malec, the Thismia crowd, Joe and Marlene Nowak, and so many others.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid">
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid">
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt Arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A title=Rbdoeker@aol.com href="mailto:Rbdoeker@aol.com"></A></DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To: </B><A title=BCNnet@ece.iit.edu href="mailto:BCNnet@ece.iit.edu">BCNnet@ece.iit.edu</A></DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> 3/26/2004 5:30:52 PM </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [BCNnet] Eagles in Chicago?</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV><FONT size=2>
<DIV>
<DIV>There is an article in today's Sun-Times and I got a call from a reporter at the Tribune looking for details for their version of the story (to be printed).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Randi Doeker</DIV>
<DIV>Chicago</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 3/26/2004 3:30:02 PM Central America Standard Tim, <A href="mailto:COszak@aol.com">COszak@aol.com</A></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"><FONT face=arial,helvetica><FONT lang=0 style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face=Arial size=2 BACK="#ffffff" PTSIZE="10" FAMILY="SANSSERIF">I heard this on the radio this morning.&nbsp; The DJ said he read it in the Tribune.&nbsp; <BR>Bald Eagles are nesting in the Chicago city limits on the Little Calumet.<BR><BR>Is this true?<BR><BR>Chris Oszak<BR>Fullerton Park FP</FONT> </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
<DIV></DIV></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8--