[BCNnet] FYI: (Chicago) Washington Park problems

Rbdoeker@aol.com Rbdoeker@aol.com
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:01:54 EST

-------------------------------1079013714

Another heads-up regarding a continuing problem within the City of Chicago:

The (southside) Washington Park Advisory Council made another formal request
to the Chicago Park District Commissioners and the new Superintendent to
convert the 7 Hills nature area into a festival fair grounds.

The 7 Hills area is everything south of Garfield Blvd.  Currently the
festivals (meaning any high-traffic event) are supposed to be held north of Garfield,
an area that is dominated by ball fields.  The community activists are
extremely outraged at this plan because it will disturb the ball games 7 days [sic]
each year.  (And that alone should tell you all you need to know about the
mindset of these activists)

In the local discussions that I've been at, neither the park district staff
nor the alderman has been swayed by the activists but the debate will continue
until the park district puts a bandshell in Washington Park, thus anchoring
the festivals to specfic spot.  I don't believe a bandshell has even been
promised for Washington Park; I don't see it listed in this year's budget.  It is
just number one on the group's wish list and we can expect they will continue to
urge that the nature areas be used for festivals (with or without a
bandshell) until they get a bandshell.

I do believe their desire for a bandshell is greater than their desire to not
inconvenience the ballgames  --and that was the word that was used: it's an
inconvenience to the ball players to have the festivals nearby.  Thus, they
will learn to live with a bandshell planted someplace on the north end of the
park  (off of 51st Street).

Randi Doeker
Chicago

-------------------------------1079013714

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>Another heads-up regarding a continuing problem within the City of Chic=
ago:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The (southside) Washington Park Advisory Council made another formal re=
quest to the Chicago Park District Commissioners&nbsp;and the new Superinten=
dent to convert the 7 Hills nature area into a festival fair grounds.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The 7 Hills area is everything south of Garfield Blvd.&nbsp; Currently=20=
the festivals (meaning any high-traffic event) are supposed to be held north=
 of Garfield, an area that is dominated by ball fields.&nbsp; The community=20=
activists are <U>extremely&nbsp;outraged</U> at this plan because it will di=
sturb the ball games 7 days [sic]&nbsp;each year.&nbsp; (And that alone shou=
ld tell you all you need to know about the mindset of these activists)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>In the local discussions that I've been at, neither the park district s=
taff nor the alderman has been swayed by the activists but the debate will c=
ontinue until the park district puts a bandshell in Washington Park, thus an=
choring the festivals to specfic spot.&nbsp; I don't believe a bandshell has=
 even been promised for Washington Park;&nbsp;I don't see it listed in this&=
nbsp;year's budget.&nbsp; It is just number one on the group's wish list and=
 we can expect they will continue to urge that the nature areas be used for=20=
festivals (with or without a bandshell) until they get a bandshell.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I do believe their desire for a bandshell is greater than their desire=20=
to not inconvenience the ballgames&nbsp; --and that was the word that was us=
ed: it's an inconvenience to the ball players to have the festivals nearby.&=
nbsp; Thus, they will learn to live with a bandshell planted someplace on th=
e north end of the park&nbsp; (off of 51st Street).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Randi Doeker</DIV>
<DIV>Chicago</DIV></BODY></HTML>