[BCNnet] The Future of Conservation

Scott Carpenter Scott Carpenter" <scott_carpenter@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:46:28 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0052_01C406CF.FF7A0440

Inspired by a recent email I received from Donald Dann (below), I've =
been thinking about ways that we (birders and other nature enthusiasts) =
can engage children from the general public in bird and nature related =
activities.  An introduction to and appreciate of nature is something =
that every child deserves, and it would also likely have long term =
benefits for our society's efforts to conserve our natural heritage.

My experience with the schools of my own children, as well as my =
experiences volunteering my services to other schools, park district =
groups, etc., has left me with the impression that there are many =
educators interested in teaming up with nature enthusiasts knowledgable =
about local birds, insects, herps, plants, etc.  (I believe there was =
excess demand for Chicago Audubon's "For the Birds" program, prior to it =
being cut due to funding issues.)  Unfortunately, my experiences have =
also convinced me that these educators do not necessarily know how to =
find people willing to lend a few hours to a group of kids, whether it =
be for a classroom discussion or a field trip at a local park.

It seems to me that a web site listing people willing to volunteer for =
child oriented nature activities would go a long way to helping =
educators, camp counselors, etc., find people willing to share their =
knowledge and expertise with the next generation of conservationists.  =
This web site could list people by location and include their expertise =
and what they are willing to do.  It could be advertised to area =
schools, park districts, science clubs, scout groups, etc., and these =
groups could then take it upon themselves to contact the volunteers =
about partnership opportunities.

In addition to having such a web site, there are other ways we can help =
build a future generation of conservationists:

 - Field trip leaders, regardless of sponsoring organizations (COS, IOS, =
TNC, herp society, butterfly monitoring network, dragonfly monitoring =
network, etc.) can seek out children at park districts, schools, where =
ever, and let the children and their parents know that children are most =
welcome at upcoming excursions.  Most such field trips these days are =
targeted at adults, particularly adults who are already heavily involved =
in nature appreciation; the few that target children tend to exclude =
adults.  Very rarely do these field trips target families from the =
general public who have never really experienced "nature".  Not only is =
it important to expose kids, but sometimes their parents also need to be =
educated to know that the mud won't hurt their kids, most insects won't =
bite, etc.
 - Nature enthusiasts can "donate" to school fund-raising auctions a =
personalized field trip for an entire family.  It costs a few hours of =
time, the school makes some money, and you get to show a family just how =
beautiful parts of this city really are. So far, I've shown dozens of =
kids their first Northern Cardinal and American Goldfinch, despite the =
fact they've lived here their whole life.  I've also shown them their =
first "pill" bug, and have shown them the difference between a dragonfly =
and a damselfly.  It doesn't take much expertise to do this, just a =
small amount of time and enthusiasm.  Three years after I took a city =
kid out birding, he was extremely excited to run into me and describe =
the goldfinch he saw in his yard.  It was clear that no one he knew =
would appreciate it, but the fact that someone would listen to him and =
share in his joy let him know that it was ok to appreciate nature.

- Birders can invite passers-by to look through their scopes at the =
loons, buffleheads, goldeneyes on the lake, etc.  I've done this dozens =
of times with such simple lines as, "Hi, would you like to see something =
beautiful?".  The faces of both kids and adults light up when they look =
through that scope.  Snowy owls are particularly effective for this =
approach.

By helping today's children have fun with nature, we could be planting =
seeds that result in a conservation ethic supported by most of =
tomorrow's adults.  When that happens, governors won't even consider =
cutting funding for open space and natural areas.

I'd very much appreciate feedback from anyone on these ideas, including =
whether people have tried things like this in the past.  Also, I'd =
appreciate hearing from people who might be interested in being part of =
a list of volunteers willing to help out local school groups, etc.

Scott Carpenter
Hyde Park/Chicago
scott_carpenter@sbcglobal.net

----- Original Message -----=20