[BCNnet] Mississippi River Restoration

Judy Pollock bobolnk@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:41:27 -0500

If this project makes it through Congress with the right priorities, it can
do an enormous amount of good for Illinois wildlife... it's worthy of your
support.

Audubon Calls on Lawmakers to Make Restoration a Priority in Any
Mississippi River Improvement Bill

Washington, DC, Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - In comments submitted today to the
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Audubon and its one million supporters, and
the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) are urging lawmakers to support
the initiative to include a strong science-based, ecosystem restoration
plan in any Mississippi River Improvement Bill.  Audubon activists and
supporters are calling for a full 50-year, $8.4 billion restoration program
to protect and restore as much as one million acres of
internationally-significant wildlife habitat that is also home to thousands
of people.

"Since 1998, we have traveled all 1,366 miles of the Upper Mississippi
River from the headwaters in northern Minnesota to the confluence with the
Ohio River at Cairo, Illinois. We will be on the River for years to come so
we have a very real interest in this resource as both an environmental and
economic asset," said Dan McGuiness, Director of Audubon's Upper
Mississippi River Campaign. "We can and must improve the ecological health
of the River, in conjunction with improving and maintaining navigation to
ensure that the Upper Mississippi Region flourishes." McGuiness addressed
the Mississippi River Caucus in Washington, DC last week.

Visit <http://www.audubon.org/news/press_releases/MRI_Bill.html> for more
information.

Judy Pollock
jpollock@audubon.org