[BCNnet] response from Beck Lake Dog Area Group in Pioneer Press

Alan Anderson casresearch@comcast.net
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:06:47 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0164_01C3D7B5.46EE9880

The following "letter" was sent to at least a number of Pioneer Press =
newspapers (and probably elsewhere).

It was printed in a number of Pioneer Press newspapers (locally in the =
1/8/04 Des Plaines Times, p11) as a Guest Essay. It also is available on =
the Beck Lake Dog Area Group website (home page: =
www.becklakedogs.org/group.htm ). I won't make any comments about it as =
you will all no doubt have your own thoughts, but I do think it is =
important that you take the time to read it.

The 'guest essay' that this is a response to, by Judy Mellin, has been =
posted to BCNnet before, but to save you from looking for it, just in =
case you wish to see that again also, I've pasted that at the end of =
this email.

Alan Anderson, casresearch@comcast.net , Des Plaines, Cook Co.

----------------

DOG FRIENDLY AREAS IN THE COOK COUNTY FOREST PRESERVES=20

Established in July 2000, the Beck Lake Dog Area Group was formed for =
the purpose of working towards the creation of a designated "pilot" DFA =
(Dog Friendly Area) in the Beck Lake Forest Preserve at Central Avenue =
and East River Road, in Glenview.=20

This portion of "underused" forest preserve land would allow people a =
safe, separate area to exercise, socialize and recreate with each other =
and their dogs, and would not interfere with other area recreational =
activities.=20

Dog Ownership has increased dramatically within the past fifteen years, =
and is growing steadily.=20

People recreating with their dogs has become one of our country's =
fastest growing recreational activities.=20

Dog Owners represent a significant population in Cook County; their =
recreational and social interests must be recognized and addressed.=20

The increase in dog ownership has resulted in competing recreational =
interests for our limited park resources. DFAs are a proactive way to =
address a large part of the community interest. They are based on the =
need for a recreational outlet, and are often the only way some people =
choose to use our green spaces.=20

There are 6000+ recognized DFAs throughout the country. Neighboring =
Lake, DuPage and Will Counties have all recognized this recreational =
need by establishing separate DFAs for their residents.=20

The City of Chicago currently has seven "official" designated areas, =
with more in progress.=20

Numerous suburban Park Districts have established DFAs (including beach =
areas) within their communities.=20

Lake County currently has four separate dog areas, ranging in size from =
30 to 68 acres. Any additional areas designated in Lake County will be =
in the range of 40 - 60 acres. For the 2002 calendar year, their number =
of annual permits for the dog areas exceeds 4,000. Of these, over one =
thousand are sold to Cook County residents generating an income of =
approximately $140,000 dollars per year from Cook County residents =
alone.=20

In August 2000, the Beck Lake Dog Area Group became an affiliate of =
D.A.W.G. (the Dog Advisory Work Group), and has attended each of =
D.A.W.G.'s regular monthly meetings for the past three years. D.A.W.G. =
is a coalition of people and organizations who are dedicated to sharing =
public spaces wisely and responsibly, and to promoting and implementing =
public education and outreach about dogs, responsible dog guardianship =
and dog-related issues throughout the community and its organizations =
and government.=20

In September 2000, we began speaking with representatives of the Cook =
County Forest Preserves. Based on these discussions, we did the =
following:=20

Established a cohesive dog owners group, consisting of people who were =
willing to spend time and donate money toward the establishment of our =
proposed area. This group is responsible for educational efforts towards =
dog owners using the area, and will help with operations and maintenance =
once the area is established. The group will maintain ongoing =
communications with designated Forest Preserve personnel, and will act =
as a liaison to area park users.=20

Circulated petitions to enlist and show community support for this area. =

We collected over 3000 signatures of support from Cook County residents =
and voters.=20

Over an eight month period we collected over 1000 land "usage surveys" =
to show how this space was currently being used and by whom. The surveys =
unquestionably proved that the proposed area was an "underused" area of =
the Cook County Forest Preserves.=20

Submitted a list of suggested Guidelines for Rules & Regulations for =
area users.=20

Established suggested costs of permits.=20

Established requested parameters of the proposed area.=20

Researched costs and suppliers for fencing, dog tags, car window =
stickers, dog waste-bag dispensers and bags, etc.=20

Submitted a draft version and received approval of the Permit =
Application and Dog Health Certificate from Dr. Dan Parmer, Director of =
Cook County Animal Control.=20

On July 24, 2001, we were granted a meeting with Superintendent Nevius =
and other representatives of Cook County Forest Preserve. Cook County's =
Director of Animal Care & Control, and a representative from D.A.W.G. =
were also in attendance. We again discussed our proposal and based on =
this meeting, we agreed to the following:=20

The proposed "pilot" DFA area would encompass 20+ acres. (Our original =
request was for 60 acres).=20

Due to the limited size of the area, permits would be limited to the =
first 500 applicants, at $50.00 per Dog.=20

We guaranteed the "pre-sale" of 400 permits for the area to cover =
initial start up/construction costs.=20

In order to fulfill our commitment, we printed and distributed over 4000 =
Informational Brochures and Pre-registration Forms. We established =
relationships with area Animal Hospitals & Veterinarians, Pet Stores and =
various retail businesses, Dog Trainers, Community Representatives, and =
local media.=20

We received support from the Anti-Cruelty Society, along with various =
Community and Dog Groups.=20

We received the support of several Cook County Commissioners.=20

The Beck Lake Dog Friendly Area officially opened July 14, 2003, and has =
been a huge success. Because this is a "pilot" area for the Cook County =
Forest Preserve, only 500 permits were issued, however, there has been =
such a huge demand from people for additional permits that the Forest =
Preserve District has decided to increase the amount of permits they =
will issue in the coming season.=20

The Forest Preserves in Illinois were put aside by Daniel Burnham as =
land to be used and enjoyed by everyone; NOT soley to be used as passive =
green space. Our Forest Preserves are enjoyed by picnickers, fishermen, =
cyclists, roller bladders, skiers, joggers, horse back riders, etc. =
There is also land set aside for special interest groups such as golf =
courses, swimming pools, tobogganing, model airplanes, etc.=20

In Summation: The Forest Preserve District will not allow the =
establishment of DFAs without community support, and then, only in areas =
not used for other recreational activities. Any group who wishes to =
establish a DFA in the Cook County Forest Preserves, must not only have =
the support of the community, they must also raise the necessary funds =
for construction/start up costs. Permits are renewed yearly, so that the =
minimal maintenance required in DFAs will not cost tax payers additional =
money.=20

With 68,000 acres of Forest Preserve land in Cook County alone, there is =
room for everyone and still much of the land still remains unused or =
underused.=20

There is plenty of space for all of us to share and enjoy.=20

Gia Heybrock, Co-Chair, Beck Lake Dog Area Group=20

(this is the Guest Essay from Judy Mellin, printed in November 2003 in =
the Pioneer Press)

Dog parks are not good for preserves=20

Palatine resident Judy Mellin is the volunteer bird monitor for the =
Poplar Creek Forest Preserve District stewards in Hoffman Estates.

By Judy Mellin=20

In the Images section of the Nov. 6 issue, Pioneer Press ran an article =
titled =B3Dogs have their day at forest preserves.=B2 I have to say how =
surprised I am that our already overtaxed forest preserves are being =
divided up into special interest areas by fences and fees.

This issue raises many questions including these: As taxpayers, how can =
we be excluded from public land? What is the environmental threat to =
water tables? Who is responsible for any problems such as dog fights =
that would arise? Every question raises only more.

How much land are we talking about here? I think taxpayers should look =
beyond the information in this story, which states, =B3All (Gia) =
Heybrock=B9s group wanted was a fence around a few acres of land at the =
side of a pond with access to a parking lot so their dogs could run =
off-leash.=B2 Would it cause anyone concern to know that these =B3few =
acres=B2 at Beck Lake are actually 22 acres (according to =
www.becklakedogs.org/tour.htm) and the proposal for Thatcher Woods is =
for as much as 60 acres (according to www.thatcherdog.com/news.htm)? The =
land at Beck Lake is now off-limits to the general public or to those =
with dogs who cannot afford the $50 fee.

Now Heybrock is =B3working on ... easing limits to the number of dogs =
allowed=B2 and =B3expanding the area.=B2 How large will these areas grow =
and how many of them will be set up? Who is dispensing these permits? =
Are they open to anyone or only to those that the committee feels should =
have them?

How much will this cost and can the Cook County Forest Preserve District =
afford it? The second part of that question is very easy to answer, and =
it is a resounding =B3no.=B2 If 500 permits are issued at $50 each, that =
would raise $25,000. I am no contractor, but it would seem that this =
would not begin to cover the cost of the initial fencing of a 22-acre =
area.

The cost would be higher for the proposed area at Thatcher Woods because =
of its larger size. Who will police the area and maintain the fence? If =
vandals tear the fencing down, would there be a special assessment of =
the license holders to put it back up?

If the area encompasses a pond, is the entire pond fenced, keeping out =
people who want to fish? Will these areas stop the problem of unleashed =
dogs in our forest preserves?

I would fear that it would only exacerbate this problem. Forest =
preserves could come to be viewed as totally =B3dog friendly=B2 and more =
people could be out with unleashed animals.

I was charged by two Rottweilers at the Poplar Creek Forest Preserve in =
Hoffman Estates while the owner stood by. I cannot imagine that he would =
pay $50 a year when he has open access to an entire preserve.

The district does not have the personnel to enforce existing leash laws, =
and dog parks would do nothing to stop the problem of loose dogs.

Several years ago, I saw three men training attack dogs in the picnic =
area of a preserve. Will those people be issued a permit for the dog run =
area to keep them away from the general public?

But, beyond the issue of dog parks, I see this as a very bad precedent.

Yes, folks will say that forest preserves house golf courses and tennis =
courts that are fee-based, but the fact remains that anyone can pay the =
fee and use the property. What will happen when skeet shooters or bocce =
players decide that they deserve =B3their share=B2 of forest preserve =
land, with fences and exclusive use? How much can the preserves < and =
the public < tolerate?

The dog runs are a very different situation in that, if I don=B9t have a =
permit, I cannot enter the area. I feel that this is private use of =
public land and should not be permitted.

In my mind, the most important question is this: Does this action =
further the core mission of the district to =B3preserve, protect and =
restore the natural land?=B2 I truly cannot see where it does any of =
those things.

The article concludes by saying, =B3Park districts=B9 inability to =
provide dog parks is why dog enthusiasts turn to forest preserve =
districts.=B2 I say our preserves have been dumped on enough without =
this. I hope the Cook County Board will take a hard look at all of these =
issues before any other dog runs are approved.

------=_NextPart_000_0164_01C3D7B5.46EE9880

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT size=3D2>
<P>The following "letter" was sent to at least a number of Pioneer Press =

newspapers (and probably elsewhere).</P>
<P>It was printed in a number of Pioneer Press newspapers (locally in =
the 1/8/04=20
Des Plaines Times, p11) as a Guest Essay. It also is available on the =
Beck Lake=20
Dog Area Group website (home page: www.becklakedogs.org/group.htm ). I =
won't=20
make any comments about it as you will all no doubt have your own =
thoughts, but=20
I do think it is important that you take the time to read it.</P>
<P>The 'guest essay' that this is a response to, by Judy Mellin, has =
been posted=20
to BCNnet before, but to save you from looking for it, just in case you =
wish to=20
see that again also, I've pasted that at the end of this email.</P>
<P>Alan Anderson, casresearch@comcast.net , Des Plaines, Cook Co.</P>
<P>----------------------------------------------------------------------=
-------------------</P></FONT><B><FONT=20
face=3D"Times New Roman">
<P>DOG FRIENDLY AREAS IN THE COOK COUNTY FOREST PRESERVES</B> </P>
<P>Established in July 2000, the Beck Lake Dog Area Group was formed for =
the=20
purpose of working towards the creation of a designated "pilot" DFA (Dog =

Friendly Area) in the Beck Lake Forest Preserve at Central Avenue and =
East River=20
Road, in Glenview. </P>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<P>This portion of "underused" forest preserve land would allow people a =
safe,=20
separate area to exercise, socialize and recreate with each other and =
their=20
dogs, and would not interfere with other area recreational activities. =
</P>
<P>Dog Ownership has increased dramatically within the past fifteen =
years, and=20
is growing steadily. </P>
<P>People recreating with their dogs has become one of our country's =
fastest=20
growing recreational activities. </P>
<P>Dog Owners represent a significant population in Cook County; their=20
recreational and social interests must be recognized and addressed. </P>
<P>The increase in dog ownership has resulted in competing recreational=20
interests for our limited park resources. DFAs are a proactive way to =
address a=20
large part of the community interest. They are based on the need for a=20
recreational outlet, and are often the only way some people choose to =
use our=20
green spaces. </P></DIR></DIR>
<P>There are 6000+ recognized DFAs throughout the country. Neighboring =
Lake,=20
DuPage and Will Counties have all recognized this recreational need by=20
establishing separate DFAs for their residents. </P>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<P>The City of Chicago currently has seven "official" designated areas, =
with=20
more in progress. </P>
<P>Numerous suburban Park Districts have established DFAs (including =
beach=20
areas) within their communities. </P>
<P>Lake County currently has four separate dog areas, ranging in size =
from 30 to=20
68 acres. Any additional areas designated in Lake County will be in the =
range of=20
40 - 60 acres. For the 2002 calendar year, their number of annual =
permits for=20
the dog areas exceeds 4,000. Of these, over one thousand are sold to =
Cook County=20
residents generating an income of approximately $140,000 dollars per =
year from=20
Cook County residents alone. </P></DIR></DIR>
<P>In August 2000, the Beck Lake Dog Area Group became an affiliate of =
D.A.W.G.=20
(the Dog Advisory Work Group), and has attended each of D.A.W.G.'s =
regular=20
monthly meetings for the past three years. D.A.W.G. is a coalition of =
people and=20
organizations who are dedicated to sharing public spaces wisely and =
responsibly,=20
and to promoting and implementing public education and outreach about =
dogs,=20
responsible dog guardianship and dog-related issues throughout the =
community and=20
its organizations and government. </P>
<P>In September 2000, we began speaking with representatives of the Cook =
County=20
Forest Preserves. Based on these discussions, we did the following: </P>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<P>Established a cohesive dog owners group, consisting of people who =
were=20
willing to spend time and donate money toward the establishment of our =
proposed=20
area. This group is responsible for educational efforts towards dog =
owners using=20
the area, and will help with operations and maintenance once the area is =

established. The group will maintain ongoing communications with =
designated=20
Forest Preserve personnel, and will act as a liaison to area park users. =
</P>
<P>Circulated petitions to enlist and show community support for this =
area. </P>
<P>We collected over 3000 signatures of support from Cook County =
residents and=20
voters. </P>
<P>Over an eight month period we collected over 1000 land "usage =
surveys" to=20
show how this space was currently being used and by whom. The surveys=20
unquestionably proved that the proposed area was an "underused" area of =
the Cook=20
County Forest Preserves. </P>
<P>Submitted a list of suggested Guidelines for Rules &amp; Regulations =
for area=20
users. </P>
<P>Established suggested costs of permits. </P>
<P>Established requested parameters of the proposed area. </P>
<P>Researched costs and suppliers for fencing, dog tags, car window =
stickers,=20
dog waste-bag dispensers and bags, etc. </P>
<P>Submitted a draft version and received approval of the Permit =
Application and=20
Dog Health Certificate from Dr. Dan Parmer, Director of Cook County =
Animal=20
Control. </P></DIR></DIR>
<P>On July 24, 2001, we were granted a meeting with Superintendent =
Nevius and=20
other representatives of Cook County Forest Preserve. Cook County's =
Director of=20
Animal Care &amp; Control, and a representative from D.A.W.G. were also =
in=20
attendance. We again discussed our proposal and based on this meeting, =
we agreed=20
to the following: </P>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<P>The proposed "pilot" DFA area would encompass 20+ acres. (Our =
original=20
request was for 60 acres). </P>
<P>Due to the limited size of the area, permits would be limited to the =
first=20
500 applicants, at $50.00 per Dog. </P>
<P>We guaranteed the "pre-sale" of 400 permits for the area to cover =
initial=20
start up/construction costs. </P>
<P>In order to fulfill our commitment, we printed and distributed over =
4000=20
Informational Brochures and Pre-registration Forms. We established =
relationships=20
with area Animal Hospitals &amp; Veterinarians, Pet Stores and various =
retail=20
businesses, Dog Trainers, Community Representatives, and local media. =
</P>
<P>We received support from the Anti-Cruelty Society, along with various =

Community and Dog Groups. </P>
<P>We received the support of several Cook County Commissioners.=20
</P></DIR></DIR>
<P>The Beck Lake Dog Friendly Area officially opened July 14, 2003, and =
has been=20
a huge success. Because this is a "pilot" area for the Cook County =
Forest=20
Preserve, only 500 permits were issued, however, there has been such a =
huge=20
demand from people for additional permits that the Forest Preserve =
District has=20
decided to increase the amount of permits they will issue in the coming =
season.=20
</P>
<P>The Forest Preserves in Illinois were put aside by Daniel Burnham as =
land to=20
be used and enjoyed by everyone; NOT soley to be used as passive green =
space.=20
Our Forest Preserves are enjoyed by picnickers, fishermen, cyclists, =
roller=20
bladders, skiers, joggers, horse back riders, etc. There is also land =
set aside=20
for special interest groups such as golf courses, swimming pools, =
tobogganing,=20
model airplanes, etc. </P>
<P>In Summation: The Forest Preserve District will not allow the =
establishment=20
of DFAs without community support, and then, only in areas not used for =
other=20
recreational activities. Any group who wishes to establish a DFA in the =
Cook=20
County Forest Preserves, must not only have the support of the =
community, they=20
must also raise the necessary funds for construction/start up costs. =
Permits are=20
renewed yearly, so that the minimal maintenance required in DFAs will =
not cost=20
tax payers additional money. </P>
<P>With 68,000 acres of Forest Preserve land in Cook County alone, there =
is room=20
for everyone and still much of the land still remains unused or =
underused. </P>
<P>There is plenty of space for all of us to share and enjoy. </P>
<P>Gia Heybrock, Co-Chair, Beck Lake Dog Area Group </P>
<P>----------------------------------------------------------------------=
---</P>
<P>(this is the Guest Essay from Judy Mellin, printed in November 2003 =
in the=20
Pioneer Press)</P></FONT><B><FONT face=3DArial size=3D5>
<P>Dog parks are not good for preserves </P></B></FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial>
<P>Palatine resident Judy Mellin is the volunteer bird monitor for the =
Poplar=20
Creek Forest Preserve District stewards in Hoffman Estates.</P>
<P>By Judy Mellin </P>
<P>In the Images section of the Nov. 6 issue, Pioneer Press ran an =
article=20
titled =B3Dogs have their day at forest preserves.=B2 I have to say how =
surprised I=20
am that our already overtaxed forest preserves are being divided up into =
special=20
interest areas by fences and fees.</P>
<P>This issue raises many questions including these: As taxpayers, how =
can we be=20
excluded from public land? What is the environmental threat to water =
tables? Who=20
is responsible for any problems such as dog fights that would arise? =
Every=20
question raises only more.</P>
<P>How much land are we talking about here? I think taxpayers should =
look beyond=20
the information in this story, which states, =B3All (Gia) Heybrock=B9s =
group wanted=20
was a fence around a few acres of land at the side of a pond with access =
to a=20
parking lot so their dogs could run off-leash.=B2 Would it cause anyone =
concern to=20
know that these =B3few acres=B2 at Beck Lake are actually 22 acres =
(according to=20
www.becklakedogs.org/tour.htm) and the proposal for Thatcher Woods is =
for as=20
much as 60 acres (according to www.thatcherdog.com/news.htm)? The land =
at Beck=20
Lake is now off-limits to the general public or to those with dogs who =
cannot=20
afford the $50 fee.</P>
<P>Now Heybrock is =B3working on ... easing limits to the number of dogs =
allowed=B2=20
and =B3expanding the area.=B2 How large will these areas grow and how =
many of them=20
will be set up? Who is dispensing these permits? Are they open to anyone =
or only=20
to those that the committee feels should have them?</P>
<P>How much will this cost and can the Cook County Forest Preserve =
District=20
afford it? The second part of that question is very easy to answer, and =
it is a=20
resounding =B3no.=B2 If 500 permits are issued at $50 each, that would =
raise=20
$25,000. I am no contractor, but it would seem that this would not begin =
to=20
cover the cost of the initial fencing of a 22-acre area.</P>
<P>The cost would be higher for the proposed area at Thatcher Woods =
because of=20
its larger size. Who will police the area and maintain the fence? If =
vandals=20
tear the fencing down, would there be a special assessment of the =
license=20
holders to put it back up?</P>
<P>If the area encompasses a pond, is the entire pond fenced, keeping =
out people=20
who want to fish? Will these areas stop the problem of unleashed dogs in =
our=20
forest preserves?</P>
<P>I would fear that it would only exacerbate this problem. Forest =
preserves=20
could come to be viewed as totally =B3dog friendly=B2 and more people =
could be out=20
with unleashed animals.</P>
<P>I was charged by two Rottweilers at the Poplar Creek Forest Preserve =
in=20
Hoffman Estates while the owner stood by. I cannot imagine that he would =
pay $50=20
a year when he has open access to an entire preserve.</P>
<P>The district does not have the personnel to enforce existing leash =
laws, and=20
dog parks would do nothing to stop the problem of loose dogs.</P>
<P>Several years ago, I saw three men training attack dogs in the picnic =
area of=20
a preserve. Will those people be issued a permit for the dog run area to =
keep=20
them away from the general public?</P>
<P>But, beyond the issue of dog parks, I see this as a very bad =
precedent.</P>
<P>Yes, folks will say that forest preserves house golf courses and =
tennis=20
courts that are fee-based, but the fact remains that anyone can pay the =
fee and=20
use the property. What will happen when skeet shooters or bocce players =
decide=20
that they deserve =B3their share=B2 of forest preserve land, with fences =
and=20
exclusive use? How much can the preserves &lt; and the public &lt; =
tolerate?</P>
<P>The dog runs are a very different situation in that, if I don=B9t =
have a=20
permit, I cannot enter the area. I feel that this is private use of =
public land=20
and should not be permitted.</P>
<P>In my mind, the most important question is this: Does this action =
further the=20
core mission of the district to =B3preserve, protect and restore the =
natural=20
land?=B2 I truly cannot see where it does any of those =
things.</P></FONT><FONT=20
face=3D"Times New Roman">
<P>The article concludes by saying, =B3Park districts=B9 inability to =
provide dog=20
parks is why dog enthusiasts turn to forest preserve districts.=B2 I say =
our=20
preserves have been dumped on enough without this. I hope the Cook =
County Board=20
will take a hard look at all of these issues before any other dog runs =
are=20
approved.</P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0164_01C3D7B5.46EE9880--