[BCNnet] Update re:Cook County dog parks

Rbdoeker@aol.com Rbdoeker@aol.com
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:59:44 EST

-------------------------------1073523584

Here is my main point of advice:  Don't write letters, etc., until May.  If
you send them earlier, the letters will just be stuck in a file.  (And possibly
lost as they shuffle things around while dealing with the offices closed by
the fire.)

Second:  don't assume they are clueless dolts.  Not only is the chief legal
officer for the FP a respected former judge, 7 of the commissioners are
attorneys.  Liability is an issue they deal with on a continuing basis.  (And they
appear very sensitive to it but if they took a conservative approach, no one
would be allowed on any FP land.)

Supt. Bylina will need letters with reasonable arguments and personal
experiences when the time comes to discuss the Beck Lake DFA pilot.  We've basically
been told that cost is not an issue and liability is as under control as a
landowner can make it.

There is probably a good issue regarding the fence being needed because of
liability and we don't support fenced areas, thus no DFA.  (Unfortunately there
are successful DFAs that don't have fences - but the staff may not share that
with the Commissioners because....)

Bylina himself does not like fencing off any land for exclusive use. And he
may not like DFAs but he is not in a position to state that.

It will be very useful if some of the letters   [sent in May :> ]   include
comments about first-hand experiences at Beck Lake.  So far there have been no
reports of any problems with dogs.

For those of you who do visit that area, please look for damage done by the
dogs to the habitat and by any signs of dog poop.  I've been told that there
has been a problem in other FP-type DFAs with the poop attracting rats.

Randi Doeker

In a message dated 1/7/2004 6:30:28 PM Central Standard Time,