[BCNnet] Update re:Cook County dog parks

Dennis Nyberg csnp@uic.edu
Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:21:52 -0600

--=====================_67939304==.ALT

To consider the liability that will be incurred because of the dog
facilities 'inconsequential' is a huge mistake.
The liability needs to be carefully investigated. Does the dog owners group
have enough insurance to pay for the settlement that the County will end up
paying for the Dan Ryan Woods attacks. I suspect that a settlement of a
million dollars or more would end up on the forest preserve district.
What about breaks in the fence? Who is responsible for maintenance of the
fence. If a dog escapes through a breach in the fence and attacks someone
outside the fence is the FPDCC liable?  Why not?
This is a case where the propose facility is not paying its full cost but
rather transferring the real cost to the FPDCC without the FPDCC knowing it.
Dennis Nyberg, TWSRP
At 03:15 PM 1/7/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>FYI:  Commissioner Suffredin withdrew his resolution (described below)
>based on Supt.Bylina's info that no new dog parks will be considered until
>the Beck Lake DFA pilot is evaluated in June.
>
>Additional info that you may have missed in yesterday's emails:  it has
>been determined that the dog groups/owners pay the cost to build the
>DFA.  Any extra cost the FP may have to incur is considered
>inconsequential (and thus not a reason to reject DFAs -- so don't bother
>mentioning it in any letters you might send).
>
>Randi Doeker
>Chicago
>

>In a message dated 1/6/2004 2:02:38 PM Central Standard Time,
>bobolnk@ix.netcom.com writes:
>Tomorrow at the Cook County Board meeting, Commissioner Suffredin will
>introduce a motion to put a moratorium on any new dog parks in the Cook
>County Forest Preserves, to allow for further public discussion and
>evaluation of the Beck Lake pilot project..  This will allow time for all
>the issues to be sorted out and a good approach to be developed.   Can you
>send an e-mail to your County Commissioner requesting that they support
>this resolution?
>
>To find out who your commissioner is and how to contact him or her, check
>this website: <http://www.cookctyclerk.com/>http://www.cookctyclerk.com/
>
>Judy Pollock
>jpollock@audubon.org

Dennis Nyberg, Steward
Cranberry Slough Nature Preserve
owned by the Forest Preserve District of Cook Co.
--=====================_67939304==.ALT

To consider the liability that will be incurred because of the dog
facilities 'inconsequential' is a huge mistake. <br>
The liability needs to be carefully investigated. Does the dog owners
group have enough insurance to pay for the settlement that the County
will end up paying for the Dan Ryan Woods attacks. I suspect that a
settlement of a million dollars or more would end up on the forest
preserve district.<br>
What about breaks in the fence? Who is responsible for maintenance of the
fence. If a dog escapes through a breach in the fence and attacks someone
outside the fence is the FPDCC liable?&nbsp; Why not?<br>
This is a case where the propose facility is not paying its full cost but
rather transferring the real cost to the FPDCC without the FPDCC knowing
it.<br>
Dennis Nyberg, TWSRP<br>
At 03:15 PM 1/7/2004 -0500, you wrote:<br>
withdrew his resolution (described below) based on Supt.Bylina's info
that no new dog parks will be considered until the Beck Lake DFA pilot is
evaluated in June.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Additional info that you may have missed in yesterday's emails:&nbsp; it
has been determined that the dog groups/owners pay the cost to build the
DFA.&nbsp; Any extra cost the FP may have to incur is considered
inconsequential (and thus not a reason to reject DFAs -- so don't bother
mentioning it in any letters you might send).<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Randi Doeker<br>
Chicago<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
In a message dated 1/6/2004 2:02:38 PM Central Standard Time,
bobolnk@ix.netcom.com writes:<br>

<dl>
<dd><font face="arial">Tomorrow at the Cook County Board meeting,
Commissioner Suffredin will introduce a motion to put a moratorium on any
new dog parks in the Cook County Forest Preserves,
and evaluation of the Beck Lake pilot
project</font><font face="arial">..&nbsp; This will allow time for all
the issues to be sorted out and a good approach to be
developed.&nbsp;&nbsp; Can you send an e-mail to your County Commissioner
requesting that they support this resolution? <br><br>

<dd>To find out who your commissioner is and how to contact him or her,
check this website:

<dd>jpollock@audubon.org <br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>

</dl>Dennis Nyberg, Steward<br>
Cranberry Slough Nature Preserve<br>
owned by the Forest Preserve District of Cook Co.</body>