[BCNnet] oops, Wild Turkey

Ryan Chew ryanwc@msn.com
Fri, 06 Feb 2004 18:37:29 -0600

Here would be my attempt to answer that question in more detail:

In the Pennsylvania survey, in an area where hunting was allowed, only 20%
of the deaths could be attributed to hunting.

In the absence of hunting, the equilibrium population in Cook County Forest
Preserves might be somewhat higher, but owls, hawks, coyotes and other
predators, already responsible for the majority of turkey mortality anyway,
would likely "harvest" the excess before any harmful population explosion
could occur.

Further, the likely effect on ground cover in the preserves would be
dominated by a secondary effect -- the addition of a medium-sized prey
species would allow predator species to increase their numbers somewhat.

A Texas study shows that in June & July, 70% of the coyote diet consists of
deer fawns.  If turkeys starved by heavy snow-falls provide coyotes with a
few meals to get through a tough winter, more coyotes will be around to take
fawns during the summer.

>From my reading of the research, I'd say it's unlikely that a turkey
explosion would ravage the preserves, and much more likely that it would
improve the health of the preserves.

Likewise, what I've written is just a few quick thoughts on the subject.
Others will no doubt have more to add to refine my estimates, or blow them
out of the water.

>From: "Dennis Meritt" <dmeritt@depaul.edu>

>The larger question still remains  ?What happens if the reintroduction is
>successful and becomes a deer problem? One must assume that any attempt at
>reintroducing turkeys to remaining suitable habitat will be successful.
>What is the management plan? Who, how and when will turkeys be "harvested"
>in the future? Just a thought.
>
>Dennis Meritt

Plan your next US getaway to one of the super destinations here.
http://special.msn.com/local/hotdestinations.armx