[BCNnet] Info on access to public meetings and docs

Birdchris@aol.com Birdchris@aol.com
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:04:42 -0500

I was just reading the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)and Open Meetings Act yesterday because a public source I needed for a story I was working on for my paper was being uncooperative. All I did was mention that the info I needed was available under the Illinois FOIA and the guy called me back and was very cooperative.

Not sure what Donnie was referring to about the Feds, because we have good, strong "sunshine" laws in Illinois so the public and journalists can keep an eye on the workings of state, local and county government. The Illinois Attorney General's office has a lot of good information on its web site (Google it and you'll find it) and it's great news that there's a life body in her office who can help. In fact, I probably will need to use that person for my source problem at work.

Christine Williamson
Chicago/Cook
birdchris@aol.com