[BCNnet] new crow/chickadee survey - can you help?

Judy Pollock bobolnk@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:03:30 -0500

Dear birders:

We are repeating last year's brief crow and chickadee surveys this weekend,
and welcome you to join us if you bird in the Chicago area.

Despite much research going on around the country, we at the BCN Census
have the best picture so far of bird life in the WNV hotspots, thanks to
the participation of so many great people which allows us to make a very
detailed picture. We are repeating last year's studies in the same way and
at the same time of year, so that we can continue to provide good
information about the "hot spot" phenomenon. This year, we are
collaborating with University of Illinois scientists who are assembling
many layers of information about the virus in order to increase our
understanding of the way it spreads and its impact on wildlife (and
ultimately on people as well).

You can help by doing one, two, or three brief surveys sometime during the
count period  -- this Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday (September 19,20,
21 and 22). #1 is a backyard chickadee survey, #2 is a natural area
chickadee survey (45 minutes), and #3 is a crow survey (also 45 minutes).

All reports from throughout the 6-county Chicago area are needed. We are
especially interested in adding more observers in the human WNV hotspot
areas:

The northern one (in Evanston, Skokie and Wilmette) is bordered
approximately by
North - Lake Ave Wilmette
South - Main Street Evanston
East - Green Bay Rd (follows the RR tracks)
West - US Highway 41 (Skokie Blvd)

The southern area basically covers Oak Lawn, with a secondary area in
Burbank. (One thing we found from our last study is that not many people
bird in this area!!)

 If you know of any birders who might visit those areas, please pass this
along to them.

If you would like to participate, please respond to this e-mail and I'll
send you the details.

Thanks much,

Judy

Judy Pollock