[BCNnet] forwarded message re: dog park - Thatcher Woods

Judy Pollock bobolnk@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 09 Sep 2003 10:30:01 -0500

Forwarded from FPfriends listserve -

Attached is a copy of Jill Anderson's letter to Commissioner Peter
Silvestri re a proposed dog park in Thatcher Woods off Fullerton Ave. in
Elmwood Park.

*if you are concerned that dog parks are inconsistent with the mission of
the FPD
*if you think the financially-strapped FPDCC should not be financing the
creation and maintenance of dog parks
*if you believe that unleashed dogs in the forest preserves threaten
hikers, bikers, bird watchers, the preserves fauna - and the serenity and
tranquility of our natural landscapes
*if you are concerned that this proposed dog park is simply another means
of encroachment on public lands by special interest groups

then I encourage you to send your comments, concerns and experiences to
Commissioner Peter Silvestri, 6650 Northwest Hwy., Chicago, Il. 60631;
773 774-8554; FAX 773 774-2901
Victor Guarino

Hi Victor, Thanks for your suggestions! Here is a copy of my letter to
Peter Silvestri. Jill

September 5, 2003
Jill Anderson
300 Park Ave
River Forest, IL. 60305

Peter Silvestri
6650 N. Northwest Highway
Chicago, IL 60631

Dear Mr. Silvestri:

I am writing to express three concerns about plans to create a dogrun in
Thatcher Woods.

I am the Bird Conservation Network bird monitor for Thatcher Woods, and I
walk in Thatcher Woods several mornings a month throughout the year, and
twice a week during migration season. Dogs are currently run in Thatcher
Woods without leashes on a daily basis, in violation of current law. I

encounter dogs and their owners year-round, and speak from direct experience.
My first concern is for my personal safety and comfort. Thatcher Woods is
on a flood plain, and the area is often quite muddy. Dogs love to run in
mud and water. I regularly encounter friendly, muddy dogs while doing
surveys. I am grateful that I have never encountered a vicious dog, as many
dog owners do not have control of their free-running dogs. Dog owners are
quick to assure me that their dogs are friendly. Rarely do they apologize
when their dog leaps on me and covers me in mud. This past Spring, I was
knocked down in the mud by an overly enthusiastic dog and had to
prematurely return home to change clothing. My parka had to be dry-cleaned
twice this year, due to unfortunate dog encounters. This year was not
unusual; these encounters are a regular occurrence. Even when the trails
are dry, there is at least one dog that swims in the Des Plaines River and
leaps on me when I approach. My first concern, therefore, is that
provisions be made for control of unleashed dogs, and that dog-owners be
held accountable for their dogs' behavior.

My second concern involves use and numbers. I am already concerned by the
large numbers of dogs being exercised without leashes now. If a Thatcher
Woods dog-run becomes publicized and legal, it is reasonable to expect a
large influx of dogs and their owners from across the western suburbs. When
the Village of Wilmette designated a dog-friendly area of the lakefront, it
was overwhelmed by the number of non-local dog-owners who applied for
permit-access to the area. I do not know what the legalities are in terms
of restricting access to Public Land, but some means of volume control will
be necessary. With greater numbers of dogs in Thatcher, attention would
also need to be given to clean-up issues and field maintenance. With the
staff budget cuts in Forest Preserve District staff, I am not confident
that personnel will be available for this purpose.

My third concern involves the use of Cook County Forest Preserve land for
the sole use of one group. I have found the majority of Thatcher dog-owners
to be friendly people. I believe they would invite me to share their space,
in order to do bird surveys. But the reality is that I can't do a bird
survey in a dog-run, and I prefer to not be accosted by muddy dogs. I am
uncomfortable with the idea of allocating a portion of the Forest Preserve
for singular use by one group, especially if it drains resources from other
needed services within the Forest Preserve District.

I hope to attend the September 9 meeting of the Thatcher Dogs Group. I am
willing to listen to the Dog Owners proposal, and I will offer my support
for a plan that addresses these concerns.

Sincerely,
Jill Anderson