[BCNnet] Re: A bird filled garden

bobolnk@ix.netcom.com bobolnk@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:35:50 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

In addition to the resources Jim mentions, there are three other  good places to start if you want to create a native garden.  One is a free booklet, Birds of the Windy City, which has a few pages of principles for creating landscaping for birds here in the Chicago region and some good references.  This book is published by the city and distributed by our Audubon office - I'd be happy to mail one to anyone who sends me their address.

The second is an activity book for families that contains actual gardening secrets from one of the two inspired gardeners we just heard from, as well as an additional gardening article and more resources.   "Enjoying Chicago Wilderness with your Family" can be ordered at the online store at chicagowildernessmag.org for about $5.

Finally, Prairie Nursery in Wisconsin has a free catalog that is just full of great advice and info about plants and establishing a native garden.

Although I started gardening with plants labeled "native" that came from all over the country, I found that so many of them behaved so badly when they were transplanted to Illinois soil, that I now plant things that are only from very, very local sources (legally obtained!!).  I also like the idea of actually "restoring"  my garden with the plants that belong there.

Judy Pollock
bobolnk@ix.netcom.com