[BCNnet] Correction re Wooded Isle issue

Rbdoeker@aol.com Rbdoeker@aol.com
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:05:20 EST

-------------------------------1069877120

I just talked to a park district staffer about the proposal to allow dogs on
Wooded Isle.  The JPAC report wasn't totally correct:  Superintendent Doig
never considered the proposal.  He handed it off to the staff.   There wasn't any
consideration of taking Wooded Island off the no-dogs list (which includes
the 3 other bird sanctuaries).

So Mr. Doig's conservation genes are active!    Which is great since we hope
he is receptive to putting more natural areas on the list.

Supt Doig and Mayor Daley will still need to hear from citizens who support
the ban on dogs in nature areas.  It's tough for public officials to support
something that is unpopular with a loud segment of citizens unless they can
point to an equally active supportive group.

Randi Doeker
Chicago

-------------------------------1069877120

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I just talked to a park district staffer about the proposal to allow do=
gs on Wooded Isle.&nbsp; The JPAC report wasn't totally correct:&nbsp; Super=
intendent Doig never considered the proposal.&nbsp; He handed it off to the=20=
staff.&nbsp;&nbsp; There wasn't any consideration of taking Wooded Island of=
f the no-dogs list (which includes the 3 other bird sanctuaries).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So Mr. Doig's conservation genes are active!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Which is=
 great since we hope he is receptive to putting more natural areas on the li=
st.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Supt Doig&nbsp;and Mayor Daley will still need to hear from citizens wh=
o support the ban on dogs in nature areas.&nbsp; It's tough for public offic=
ials to support something that is unpopular with a loud segment of citizens=20=
unless they can point to an equally active supportive group.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Randi Doeker</DIV>
<DIV>Chicago</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>