[BCNnet] Beck Lake today

Alan Anderson casresearch@comcast.net
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:22:19 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_01AC_01C3A7BF.F58A9CC0

I hadn't read my e-mail until tonight, since I last posted the Pioneer =
Press article on Saturday before going to a CAS board social event, so =
it made for interesting reading tonight to read all the latest replies =
in succession.

I won't comment on those much right now, but just wanted to mention =
about a visit to Beck Lake today.

I'm on vacation this week, so I was able to take Doris Johanson to Beck =
Lake today.   Doris has birded at Beck Lake FP for about 30 years or so, =
and very many times since she and her late husband Harold moved to Des =
Plaines in the mid 1980's.   =20

She had not seen the new Dog Friendly Area.   Actually, I hadn't seen =
the expanded fence until my last visit either (I probably should've =
inquired more about the dog park more about when I first heard about it, =
but it wasn't until the size was increased, into an area I bird often, =
that I really noticed what it's effects were, and I apologize for =
perhaps not mentioning this issue last year so it could've been =
discussed before it got out of hand).

Doris has birded the area that is now fenced in for most of those 30 =
years that she's been birding there (she covered the area for the IBBA =
and the Cook County Nesting Season Bird Census).    She said that the =
area that is now fenced in has been used by many people over the years, =
including dog walkers, picnic-ers (sitting in the grasses she said), =
birders, hikers, fishermen and more.     She would have to check all her =
past records, but the wetlands there have had snipe, green herons, =
shorebirds (killdeer, spotted and solitary and perhaps others), ducks, =
mallards and the usual resident species.    [aside - she said that the =
area/path leading to the entrance is 'great warbler habitat' in the =
spring'.]

I'll just say she was upset when seeing the extent of the area that was =
fenced in, and of course upset that it was reserved for only the =
permit-holding dog-owners, and that she can't bird the area any more.    =
She will let the forest preserve commissioners know her thoughts about =
what has happened.

I will say that I agree with a point made earlier by a few people.    =
For those interested in this topic, it really is important to VISIT and =
see the Beck Lake Dog Friendly Area for yourself*.     The amount of =
acreage set aside now is actually quite a bit of land, and 60 acres, =
that they want at Thatcher, unless all currently a ballfield or parking =
lot or mowed grass, of other habitat would really take a lot of =
important open space habitat.    =20

The current expanded Dog Friendly Area at Beck Lake does indeed include =
a small pond, that has muddy edges (possibly shorebird habitat), and the =
creek runs from it all the way to Beck Lake itself, with cattails and =
other vegetation along the edge of the creek.     We were hoping to be =
able to see some birds along the edge of the creek, but it is on the =
east side of the area, and you can't walk along the outer east edge, =
since the fence abuts the Tri-State Tollway.    We were only able to =
walk along the north, west and south edges.      Much of the area around =
the pond, and outside the creek habitat, is mowed grass.     This area =
was more typical wet grassland before it was mowed, but I don't know if =
there were grassland birds species nesting there or not.   There are =
buckthorn, maples and other trees along the northwest corner.

I took a roll of photos of the area (all sides), and after developing =
would be willing to  share the best with anyone who wants to use =
(newsletter or whatever) or see them, but again, its best to see the =
area for yourself.    If you have been to the area in the past, it is =
probably even more important to see the fenced-in area for yourself to =
see just how much it includes, and the wetlands there.

Birds we did see in the fenced-in area were:   a pair of Red-tailed =
Hawks, two Blue Jays, one starling and two Yellow-rumped Warblers.    Of =
course we could not see or hear anything in the area surrounding the =
creek, because we were just too far away.

There were three dogs (and dog owners) using the area while we were =
there.   I drove by on Saturday on my way back from the Botanic Garden =
and saw a few more dogs than that, but not many.   I have no idea how =
many might be in the fenced in area during a peak warm-weather weekend.

There are of course 'no fishing' signs around the pond now.

There were two dogs being walked (on leashes I think - seen via binocs) =
in other areas of Beck Lake FP, far away from the DFA.

Two questions for which I still would like answers for:

1)   has there been any discussion of just how many areas that the FPD =
Commissioners might allow?   i.e. - will this ever stop or will it just =
go on and on?

2)   was there ever any studies of the effect on the environment before =
chosing THIS area?   It's a wetland and both animal and plant species =
have to be effected.   Also, how is the hydrology effected, and is the =
water quality effected at all?  (there appear to be 'waste bags' =
available for solid waste, but what about liquid waste or effect on the =
water?)    The creek does attach to Beck Lake itself, and there is a =
small wet area on the west side too.

In short, if more DFA's are 'demanded' just how much is too much?   and =
will there be any scientific studies of the choices beforehand?     or =
must we as 'volunteers' do all of that study?    As an aside - we all =
have seemed to agree in the past that wetlands are a very important =
habitat - why MUST dogs use wetlands??????    Shouldn't that habitat at =
least be saved for use by wildlife and for native plant species?????

The Chicago Audubon board will be discussing all these questions at our =
next board meeting (all who attended the event on Saturday were in =
agreement that something must be done), and I hope that the boards or =
executive committees of all area Audubon chapters, environmental groups =
and others also discuss the situation and let the FP Commissioners know =
of their concerns.

Alan Anderson
casresearch@comcast.net
Des Plaines

*  Beck Lake FP is at Central Ave north of East River Road, near Des =
Plaines and Glenview.    The path to the DFA is on the east side of the =
parking lot, in the south lot, or you can get to the northwest corner of =
the DFA by walking along the south edge of Beck Lake proper.     I have =
to work this weekend, but if anyone wishes to visit the area either this =
Friday afternoon or next Monday afternoon, please let me know and I can =
possibly show you around.
------=_NextPart_000_01AC_01C3A7BF.F58A9CC0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I hadn't read my e-mail until tonight, =
since I last=20
posted the Pioneer Press article on Saturday before going to a CAS board =
social=20
event, so it made for interesting reading tonight to read all the latest =
replies=20
in succession.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I won't comment on those much right =
now, but just=20
wanted to&nbsp;mention about a visit&nbsp;to Beck =
Lake&nbsp;today.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm on vacation this week, so I was =
able to take=20
Doris Johanson to Beck Lake today.&nbsp;&nbsp; Doris has birded at Beck =
Lake FP=20
for about 30 years or so, and very many times since she and her late =
husband=20
Harold moved to Des Plaines in the mid 1980's.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>She had not seen the new Dog Friendly=20
Area.&nbsp;&nbsp; Actually, I hadn't seen the expanded fence until my =
last visit=20
either (I probably should've inquired more about the dog park more about =
when I=20
first heard about it, but it wasn't until the size was increased, into =
an area I=20
bird often, that I really noticed what it's effects were, and I =
apologize for=20
perhaps not mentioning this issue last year so it could've been =
discussed before=20
it got out of hand).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Doris has birded the area that is now =
fenced in for=20
most of those 30 years that she's been birding there (she covered the =
area for=20
the IBBA and the Cook County Nesting Season Bird =
Census).&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; She=20
said that the area that is now fenced in has been used by many people =
over the=20
years, including dog walkers, picnic-ers (sitting in the grasses she =
said),=20
birders, hikers, fishermen and more.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; She would =
have to=20
check all her past records, but the wetlands there have had snipe, green =
herons,=20
shorebirds (killdeer, spotted and solitary and perhaps others), ducks, =
mallards=20
and the usual resident species.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; [aside - she said that =
the=20
area/path leading to the entrance is 'great warbler habitat' in the=20
spring'.]</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'll just say she was upset when seeing =
the extent=20
of the area that was fenced in, and of course upset that it was reserved =
for=20
only the permit-holding dog-owners, and that she can't bird the area any =

more.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; She will let the forest preserve commissioners =
know her=20
thoughts about what has happened.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I will say that I agree with a point =
made earlier=20
by a few people.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; For those interested in this topic, =
it really=20
is important to&nbsp;VISIT and see the Beck Lake Dog Friendly Area for=20
yourself*.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The amount of acreage set aside now =
is=20
actually quite a bit of land, and 60 acres, that they want at Thatcher, =
unless=20
all currently a ballfield or parking lot or mowed grass, of other =
habitat would=20
really&nbsp;take a lot of important&nbsp;open space=20
habitat.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The current expanded Dog Friendly Area =
at Beck Lake=20
does indeed include a small pond, that has muddy edges (possibly =
shorebird=20
habitat), and the creek runs from it all the way to Beck Lake itself, =
with=20
cattails and other vegetation along the edge of the=20
creek.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We were hoping to be able to see some =
birds along=20
the edge of the creek, but it is on the east side of the area, and you =
can't=20
walk along the outer east edge, since the fence abuts the Tri-State=20
Tollway.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We were only able to walk along the north, =
west and=20
south edges.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Much of the area around the =
pond, and=20
outside the creek habitat, is mowed grass.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; This =
area was=20
more typical wet grassland before it was mowed, but I don't know if =
there were=20
grassland birds species nesting there or not.&nbsp;&nbsp; There&nbsp;are =

buckthorn, maples and other trees along the northwest =
corner.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I took a roll of photos of the area =
(all sides),=20
and after developing would be willing to &nbsp;share the best with =
anyone who=20
wants to use (newsletter or whatever) or see them, but again, its best =
to see=20
the area for yourself.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If you have been to the area in =
the=20
past, it is probably even more important to see the fenced-in area for =
yourself=20
to see just how much&nbsp;it includes, and the wetlands =
there.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Birds we did see in the fenced-in area=20
were:&nbsp;&nbsp; a pair of Red-tailed Hawks, two Blue Jays, one =
starling and=20
two Yellow-rumped Warblers.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Of course we could not see =
or hear=20
anything in the area surrounding the creek, because we were just too far =

away.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There were three dogs (and dog owners) =
using the=20
area while we were there.&nbsp;&nbsp; I drove by on Saturday on my way =
back from=20
the Botanic Garden and saw a few more dogs than that, but not =
many.&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
I have no idea how many might be in the fenced in area during a peak=20
warm-weather weekend.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There are of course 'no fishing' signs =
around the=20
pond now.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There were two dogs being walked (on =
leashes I=20
think - seen via binocs) in other areas of Beck Lake FP, far away from =
the=20
DFA.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Two questions for which I still would =
like answers=20
for:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1)&nbsp;&nbsp; has there been any =
discussion of=20
just how many areas that the FPD Commissioners might allow?&nbsp;&nbsp; =
i.e. -=20
will this ever stop or will it just go on and on?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2)&nbsp;&nbsp; was there ever any =
studies of the=20
effect on the environment before chosing THIS area?&nbsp;&nbsp; It's a =
wetland=20
and both animal and plant species have to be effected.&nbsp;&nbsp; Also, =
how is=20
the hydrology effected, and is the water quality effected at all?&nbsp; =
(there=20
appear to be 'waste bags' available for solid waste, but what about =
liquid waste=20
or effect on the water?)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The creek does attach to Beck =
Lake=20
itself, and there is a small wet area on the west side too.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In short, if more DFA's are 'demanded' =
just how=20
much is too much?&nbsp;&nbsp; and will there be any scientific studies =
of the=20
choices beforehand?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; or must we as 'volunteers' =
do all of=20
that study?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; As an aside - we all have seemed to agree =
in the=20
past that wetlands are a very important habitat - why MUST dogs use=20
wetlands??????&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Shouldn't that habitat at least be =
saved for=20
use by wildlife and for native plant species?????</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The Chicago Audubon board will be =
discussing all=20
these questions at our next board meeting (all who attended the event on =

Saturday were in agreement that something must be done), and I hope that =
the=20
boards or executive committees of all area Audubon chapters, =
environmental=20
groups and others also discuss the situation and let the FP =
Commissioners know=20
of&nbsp;their concerns.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Alan Anderson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:casresearch@comcast.net">casresearch@comcast.net</A></FONT=
></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Des Plaines</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>*&nbsp; Beck Lake FP is at Central Ave =
north of=20
East River Road, near Des Plaines and Glenview.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The =
path to=20
the DFA is on the east side of the parking lot, in the south lot, or you =
can get=20
to the northwest corner of the DFA by walking along the south edge of =
Beck Lake=20
proper.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have to work this&nbsp;weekend, but if =
anyone=20
wishes to visit the area either this Friday afternoon or next Monday =
afternoon,=20
please let me know and I can possibly show you=20
around.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_01AC_01C3A7BF.F58A9CC0--