[BCNnet] Re: [vsn-stewards] Fenced Dog Areas

John & Jane Balaban balx2@comcast.net
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:15:42 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0207_01C3A706.A1F164E0

The big difference between off leash dogs and birders is that only one =
of the groups will use the forest preserves without destroying them.  =
That is a major difference!  They are not at all equivalent uses.  If =
people need to have dogs, and if they need to have their dogs run free, =
then fence off both ends of their street and let the dogs run there.  If =
your response is that would be inappropriate, then I say it is just as =
inappropriate for the forest preserves.  99% of the natural land in =
Illinois has already been destroyed.  I don't feel that I have to =
"compromise" on the last one percent.  If a group of citizens want to =
buy some neglected farmland and turn it into a dog run, fine.  But don't =
ask me to pay taxes for natural lands and then fence it off and tell me =
I can't enter without a license while you tear it apart and turn it into =
a mudhole.

When does the compromising end?  A business wants five feet of the =
length of a nature preserve so they can dump the snow from their parking =
lot in winter.  A museum wants tens of  thousands of square feet for a =
parking lot.  Another group wants to grade a piece of forest preserve so =
they can have a free place to play soccer every day.  A mayor may want =
to build a bigger parking lot for his convention center.  A construction =
company might want a road through the middle of a preserve so they can =
reduce their shipping costs and times.  Maybe a school district wants to =
build a new environmental science magnet school.  Or a university wants =
to reconfigure its parking area and would like a new private driveway =
through the forest preserve next door.  Or possibly the fire station in =
town is now inadequate for the growing population.  Why do all these =
needs have to met out of the forest preserves?  Do I need to compromise =
for these too?  When will we knock down some houses for these uses, or =
tear up a street?

Or as in your example, maybe a large constituency decides it does want =
an off-road SUV area.  On what grounds do you say it is ok to fence off =
an area for the private use of fee paying dog owners but it is not ok to =
fence off an area for the private use of fee paying ORV owners?  What is =
the guiding principal which will allow us to make such decisions?  If =
the mission of the forest preserve is, as it is in Cook County, to =
preserve the land for the people of the county in as natural a state as =
it can be, then all uses have to be judged against that guiding rule.=20

I don't think people are being unreasonable when they ask that the =
forest preserves be used as the founding documents declared they should =
be used.  We need not to be so quick to compromise what little natural =
land is left or we'll compromise them right out of existence.  The =
hundred acre Thatcher preserve cannot support a 60 acre dog run and =
survive.  Let's have a hundred acres of nature there instead to visited =
by and enjoyed by any of the residents of the county with their children =
and their friends and their binoculars and their field guides and their =
pet dogs on a leash, and even with their horses and/or bicycles as long =
as they stay on the trails.  The preserves can support those uses and =
still remain in as natural a state as they can be.

John Balaban
North Branch Restoration Project

  ----- Original Message -----=20