[BCNnet] Dog area proposed for Thatcher Woods

Rbdoeker@aol.com Rbdoeker@aol.com
Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:18:12 -0500

Not long ago there was some discussion on this listserv about the proposal for a dog park in Thatcher Woods (in the Cook Co FP).

The dog owner group making this proposal has a website:  www.thatcherdog.com  .

It was my understanding from the earlier emails that there was opposition to this proposal. (Although I don't understand why: I think providing fenced in areas is the best way to get off-leash dogs under control.)

Regardless, it is probably not possible to stop the proposal. (My opinion is based on my observations at the monthly county commissioners meetings. The commissioners do not appear pro or con on the issue of dog parks. But they have to say No to so much these days, here's a chance to say Yes to something that a significant number of citizens want.)

I don't think the FPDCC has a formal process for establishing DFAs (as opposed to the City of Chicago, which puts dog groups through a process that lasts over a year).  It could be approved without much notice.

What conservationists can do now is provide input on where the dog park would do the least harm.

But first we need people knowledgeable about Thatcher Woods to look at their selected area.........please.  It's all on their website. Then give us your feedback.

Randi Doeker
rbdoeker @ aol.com
Chicago