[BCNnet] Lake Calumet Open Space Reserve is program at CAS Awards Banquet honoring 6

Alan Anderson casresearch@attbi.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 21:23:31 -0600

On Saturday, April 26 ( John J. Audubon's birthday ), Chicago Audubon is
holding its Annual Environmental Awards Dinner, to honor those who have made
contributions to conservation and birding in the Chicagoland area.

The following six people have been selected by the CAS board for this year's
awards:

Mary Van Haaften - Protector of the Environment, Vocation:
As the Chicago Park District's Natural Areas Manager, Mary has helped create
and maintain urban ecosystems that provide sanctuary for people, plants,
birds and other wildlife.   Mary is responsible managing 50 natural areas in
the city, and has also developed a Volunteer Stewardship Program for these
areas.

Terry Schilling - Protector of the Environment, Avocation:
A restoration volunteer since the early 1990's, Terry Schilling has worked
to restore Lincoln Park's Jarvis Migratory Bird Sanctuary and provided
valuble habitat planning and leadership on volunteer workdays there as well.
He also serves on the Mayor's Landscape Advisory Task Force, and as a
founding BCN (Birding Conservation Network) member, he wrote guidelines
adopted by the Chicago Park District for promoting and protecting bird
habitats in Chicago's lakefront parks.

Paul R. Clyne - Protector of the Environment, Avocation:
Paul has served on the Illinois Ornithological Records Committee since 1996,
and been a seasonal bird report editor for IOS for a number of years.   He
has compiled precise records of the birds sighted (and nesting) in Jackson
Park since 1980, which has helped provide invaluable aid to researchers.

Linda Day - Protector of the Environment, Single Act:
Establishing the LIGHTS OUT program, to help save migrating birds, was Linda
Day's contribution to the cause of conservation.  Through her contacts at
BOMA (Building Owners and Managers Association), she created
this program to help spread the word to the city's tall building
managers --- Save The Birds.   Linda also serves as Chair of the Wildlife
and Nature Subcommittee of the Mayor's Landscape Task Force.

Dale Bowman - Excellence in Environmental Reporting:
Outdoor Editor for the Chicago Sun Times for the past 8 years, Dale always
finds room for birding and conservation issues.  Dale writes about many
environmental issues, including those involving IDNR and local Forest
Preserve Board oversight, and is one of the few to report on the damage that
could be caused to the local environment by the proposed
Peotone Airport.  He also helps publicize bird counts and walks, and also
includes some bird sightings in his "news and notes".  Check out a recent
article on local woodcock flights at:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/outdoors/cst-spt-bowman30.html

Richard Biss - Service to Chicago Area Birders:
For 17 years, Richard Biss has managed the Rare Bird Alert for Chicago
Audubon.  Before IBET there was, and still is, Richard Biss.  Rich has also
provided valuble information and assistance for the CAS seasonal bird
checklists.

The CAS Awards Dinner will give recognition and acknowledgement to these
people.  Please join us to celebrate their achievements.

Our featured speaker will be Susanne Malec, Deputy Commissioner, City of
Chicago, Department of Environment, Department of Natural Resources.
She will give an overview of the City of Chicago's plans for the Lake
Calumet Open Space Reserve.

All this for only $25 per person. Come join us.

Here are the details

DINNER
Reception and Cash Bar-5:30 p.m.
Dinner-6:30 p.m.
Presentation of Awards
Program -  Suzanne Malec: Chicago's Lake Calumet Open Space Reserve
The evening's events should conclude by about 9:00 p.m.

DINNER RESERVATIONS

The event takes place Saturday, April 26, at 6:30 p.m. at the Homestead
Restaurant, 8305 W. North Avenue in Melrose Park (directions below).  The
banquet is $25 per person.

All are invited to help us honor these award recipients.

Please make your reservations by April 18. Mail a check for $25 per person,
made payable to the Chicago Audubon Society, to our office at 5801-C N.
Pulaski Rd. Chicago,
IL 60646.  (You may also "charge it" by calling the office at
773-539-6793.). Please include your choice of entrée: chicken in white wine,
tilapia, or vegetarian plate.

If you have questions, please contact Karen Andersen, CAS office manger
(e-mail: chicago_audubon@juno.com ; phone: 773-539-6793), Chris Lee, CAS
President (stephenc@interaccess.com  ) or Alan Anderson
(casresearch@attbi.com  , 847-390-7347).

DIRECTIONS TO THE RESTAURANT

The Homestead Restaurant is at 8305 W. North Avenue in Melrose Park.

>From the South and West: Take I-290 to 1st Avenue North. Go north about 3
miles to North Avenue (1600 N.) and turn right. The Homestead is on your
right, less than a ¼ mile.

>From the North and Northwest: Take I-294 to Irving Park Road and go east, 1
mile, to River Road. Turn right on River Road and continue until it meets
with Cumberland/First Avenue. Continue south and turn left on North Avenue,
go ¼ mile to restaurant (on south side of the street).

>From Chicago: Take either Cumberland Avenue south, which turns into First
Avenue, and follow the above directions, or take North Avenue west to the
restaurant (a short distance past Thatcher Ave.).

Hope to see you all there.

Chris Lee, CAS President
  (stephenc@interaccess.com  )

Karen Andersen, CAS office Manager