[BCNnet] Bird Collision Monitors Starting Up

Robbie Hunsinger redstart1@earthlink.net
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 19:26:42 -0600

Greetings fellow conservationists!

It is migration season again and the Chicago Bird Collision Monitors
are springing into action.

If you might be interested in helping us please contact me. We expect
an especially busy few nights for sparrow migration at the end of next
week! -  so if you have time during this period , that would be
especially helpful.

We train volunteers and send out teams to monitor and rescue migratory
birds in the pre-dawn hours. We are also working with volunteers in the
later morning hours as well. There is a lot of cooperation with
building security and managers in the Loop area.

The latest news is that the property and facilities managers at Aon
Tower agreed to decal a glass walkway in their plaza to help prevent
bird collisions.  This was a major collision spot this fall.

Anyway, if you can go out pre-dawn, go to work a little early, or check
a site during a break or lunchtime, please let me know. I am hoping to
coordinate  groups of interested people to do the hands on work, and
also have people that can alert the monitors to problem areas. We don't
have enough monitors to cover a large area, but it would be great to
have some extra eyes out there to help monitor more of the Loop.

I am also looking for folks to do a little outreach work within the
buildings.  Just turning out office lights at night or pulling shades
can make a huge difference in nighttime bird strikes. Many people would
take care to do this if they knew it would make such a difference.

If you are interested in the monitoring project or if you have any
ideas for helping the birds in the Loop, please contact me.

If you tried to reach me recently, please drop another e-mail- my
internet provider went bust rather abruptly and I fear that I lost some
mails in the transition. I was temporarily bumped from BCN , but I am
back on now.

Thanks so much,

Robbie Hunsinger
Chicago Bird Collision Monitors