[BCNnet] testing of dead birds

Judy Pollock bobolnk@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:51:11 -0500

Mike Rzepka wrote:
Found a dead bird in my Tinley Park yard this evening. Believe it to be a
juvenile Common Grackle. I double wrapped it in garbage bags. .. Should some
authority be notified or should the bird be turned in somewhere?

I've been looking into this, and as far as I can determine, these are the only
Only crows and blue jays are being accepted for testing by state or local
departments of public health.
The Illinois Natural History Survey will accept blood samples.
The Lincoln Park Zoo is testing dead birds found on their grounds.

Caution in handling dead birds is advised - using plastic bags to pick them up
is a good idea.

Judy Pollock
Evanston (Cook)
bobolnk@ix.netcom.com