[BCNnet] [BCNnet]Good news from Aon

Robbie Hunsinger redstart1@earthlink.net
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:15:52 -0500

--B_3141796553_2239992

Dear BCN,
I thought you would like to hear some good news from the Loop.

We have had a consistent problem with bird collisions at the north side of
Aon (Amoco) tower in the upper plaza area. There are lots of shrubs and
trees and a very dangerous glass enclosed walkway in the middle of the
plaza. I contacted the managers of the building in the early  spring to see
if they could do something about the reflective glass.  They let us apply
decals this spring on particularly bad mornings which was great, but I
really wanted them to get some kind of permanent decal on the glass. They
actually have frosted/sandblasted glass decals on the inside of the walkway
and I was told that this was because people were running into it!

Anyway, after many phone calls, Mike Corbin has gotten the decals put on th=
outside of the glass !  This is really good news for the birds. It isn=B9t
perfect, but the decals are at a good level I think (close to the reflectin=
planter levels) so that at least some of the birds will be able to see the
glass now.

I will keep you posted on the success, and please cross your fingers once
migration starts up.

I think it is really great that a big organization like Aon and their
property managers are willing to change their plaza just to help birds!

Robbie Hunsinger
Coordinator, Chicago Bird Collision Monitors
http://www.birdmonitors.net

--B_3141796553_2239992

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>[BCNnet]Good news from Aon</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Dear BCN,<BR>
I thought you would like to hear some good news from the Loop.<BR>
<BR>
We have had a consistent problem with bird collisions at the north side of =
Aon (Amoco) tower in the upper plaza area. There are lots of shrubs and tree=
s and a very dangerous glass enclosed walkway in the middle of the plaza. I =
contacted the managers of the building in the early &nbsp;spring to see if t=
hey could do something about the reflective glass. &nbsp;They let us apply d=
ecals this spring on particularly bad mornings which was great, but I really=
 wanted them to get some kind of permanent decal on the glass. They actually=
 have frosted/sandblasted glass decals on the inside of the walkway and I wa=
s told that this was because people were running into it!<BR>
<BR>
Anyway, after many phone calls, Mike Corbin has gotten the decals put on th=
e outside of the glass ! &nbsp;This is really good news for the birds. It is=
n&#8217;t perfect, but the decals are at a good level I think (close to the =
reflecting planter levels) so that at least some of the birds will be able t=
o see the glass now.<BR>
<BR>
I will keep you posted on the success, and please cross your fingers once m=
igration starts up.<BR>
<BR>
I think it is really great that a big organization like Aon and their prope=
rty managers are willing to change their plaza just to help birds!<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Robbie Hunsinger<BR>
Coordinator, Chicago Bird Collision Monitors<BR>
http://www.birdmonitors.net<BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>