[BCNnet] Chicago Tribune Lake Calumet article

WJMarcisz@aol.com WJMarcisz@aol.com
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:38:25 EDT

--part1_51.31db4b60.2c3c93d1_boundary

BCNnet-
I am attempting to post a recent Chicago Tribune article on the Lake Calumet
area. Hopefully it will go through!

Walter Marcisz, Chicago, Cook Co.
WJMarcisz@aol.com

--------------------

> Chicago's last frontier
> --------------------
>

> July 7, 2003
>
> The prospect sounds fanciful. For relatively little investment, the
> Chicago area can recycle some 4,000 essentially unused acres for an
> array of natural and recreational uses, plus an additional 1,000 acres
> that would be ideal for jobs-rich industrial development.
>
> Where to find such a pending paradise? The answer morphs from the
> fanciful straight to the bizarre: the reaches around Lake Calumet on the
> Southeast Side of Chicago--an area written off for dead by millions of
> metropolitan residents who think of it as another era's wasteland.
>
> This is one of urban America's least likely gems in waiting, a
> collection of once-pristine land parcels that were manhandled for a
> century by Rust Belt industries--steel mills, refineries, chemical
> plants--and then largely abandoned. In his 2002 book "A Natural History
> of the Chicago Region," author Joel Greenberg correctly wrote that the
> Lake Calumet area "has experienced every abuse that a wealthy society
> can subject to a small surface of the earth except significant radiation
> exposure and warfare."
>
> Yet the possibilities for this, Chicago's last frontier, are as enticing
> as the area itself is resilient. Despite the long onslaught from humans,
> nature has never surrendered. The Lake Calumet area teems not just with
> landfills and spent industrial hulks, but with astonishingly rich
> assortments of flora and fauna--including black-crowned night herons,
> egrets and more than 200 other types of birds that visit annually. Its
> lands and waterways are the makings of a resource that hikers,
> bicyclists, canoeists and students of nature should greatly enjoy. And
> the potential for industrial development is substantial: According to an
> excellent master plan drafted by the city's Department of Planning and
> Development, the Lake Calumet area has about 60 percent of the land now
> available for industrial use in Chicago.
>
> A century ago, Daniel Burnham's "Plan of Chicago" anticipated a "lake
> park set in one of the greatest manufacturing districts in the world."
> The Lake Calumet area got swamped by industry, but only now is Burnham's
> blended vision a real possibility. In the meantime, other proposals--to
> host a World's Fair or a huge new airport there--have come and gone.
>
> The push to redevelop the area hasn't attracted much public
> attention--in part because the players involved largely agree on what
> needs to be done. This is the rare occasion in which environmentalists,
> industrialists and government officials aren't tearing at one another's
> throats. There's plenty of land for both natural and industrial
> purposes, with some parcels clearly better suited for one use or the
> other.
>
> The question is how to speed the pace of the project and push aside
> remaining obstacles--tasks that Mayor Richard Daley, Gov. Rod
> [...]

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica>BCNnet-
<BR>I am attempting to post a recent Chicago Tribune article on the Lake Cal=
umet area. Hopefully it will go through!
<BR>
<BR>Walter Marcisz, Chicago, Cook Co.
<BR>WJMarcisz@aol.com
<BR>
<BR><FONT  SIZE=3D2>--------------------
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Ar=
ial" LANG=3D"0">
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Ar=
ial" LANG=3D"0"><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=3DCITE style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px so=
lid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Chicago's last=20=
frontier
<BR>--------------------
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>July 7, 2003
<BR>
<BR>The prospect sounds fanciful. For relatively little investment, the
<BR>Chicago area can recycle some 4,000 essentially unused acres for an
<BR>array of natural and recreational uses, plus an additional 1,000 acres
<BR>that would be ideal for jobs-rich industrial development.
<BR>
<BR>Where to find such a pending paradise? The answer morphs from the
<BR>fanciful straight to the bizarre: the reaches around Lake Calumet on the
<BR>Southeast Side of Chicago--an area written off for dead by millions of
<BR>metropolitan residents who think of it as another era's wasteland.
<BR>
<BR>This is one of urban America's least likely gems in waiting, a
<BR>collection of once-pristine land parcels that were manhandled for a
<BR>century by Rust Belt industries--steel mills, refineries, chemical
<BR>plants--and then largely abandoned. In his 2002 book "A Natural History
<BR>of the Chicago Region," author Joel Greenberg correctly wrote that the
<BR>Lake Calumet area "has experienced every abuse that a wealthy society
<BR>can subject to a small surface of the earth except significant radiation
<BR>exposure and warfare."
<BR>
<BR>Yet the possibilities for this, Chicago's last frontier, are as enticing
<BR>as the area itself is resilient. Despite the long onslaught from humans,
<BR>nature has never surrendered. The Lake Calumet area teems not just with
<BR>landfills and spent industrial hulks, but with astonishingly rich
<BR>assortments of flora and fauna--including black-crowned night herons,
<BR>egrets and more than 200 other types of birds that visit annually. Its
<BR>lands and waterways are the makings of a resource that hikers,
<BR>bicyclists, canoeists and students of nature should greatly enjoy. And
<BR>the potential for industrial development is substantial: According to an
<BR>excellent master plan drafted by the city's Department of Planning and
<BR>Development, the Lake Calumet area has about 60 percent of the land now
<BR>available for industrial use in Chicago.
<BR>
<BR>A century ago, Daniel Burnham's "Plan of Chicago" anticipated a "lake
<BR>park set in one of the greatest manufacturing districts in the world."
<BR>The Lake Calumet area got swamped by industry, but only now is Burnham's
<BR>blended vision a real possibility. In the meantime, other proposals--to
<BR>host a World's Fair or a huge new airport there--have come and gone.
<BR>
<BR>The push to redevelop the area hasn't attracted much public
<BR>attention--in part because the players involved largely agree on what
<BR>needs to be done. This is the rare occasion in which environmentalists,
<BR>industrialists and government officials aren't tearing at one another's
<BR>throats. There's plenty of land for both natural and industrial
<BR>purposes, with some parcels clearly better suited for one use or the
<BR>other.
<BR>
<BR>The question is how to speed the pace of the project and push aside
<BR>remaining obstacles--tasks that Mayor Richard Daley, Gov. Rod
<BR>Blagojevich and John Stroger, president of the Cook County Board, could
<BR>accomplish in short order.
<BR>
<BR>Thus far, Daley and Michael Quigley, a member of the County Board, have
<BR>exerted the most leadership in resurrecting the region. Daley has
<BR>overseen the city's key role in reclaiming and environmentally scrubbing
<BR>some land parcels for transfer to the Illinois Department of Natural
<BR>Resources (IDNR). Thankfully, Daley also nixed a foolish proposal by the
<BR>Illinois International Port District, which oversees shipping
<BR>activities, to stick a marina capable of holding 1,000 pleasure boats in
<BR>Lake Calumet; the plan would have further polluted the lake and
<BR>prevented it from emerging as a nature locale.
<BR>
<BR>For his part, Quigley last year authored a report that elaborately
<BR>detailed imaginative ways for the Cook County Forest Preserve District,
<BR>which owns some land in the area, to much more aggressively acquire
<BR>parcels for conservation and recreation purposes. That's a crucial need:
<BR>Because almost all of the district's land is in suburbia, city residents
<BR>are badly underserved. That's not slated to change: All of the land
<BR>purchases proposed for the county's $17 million acquisition fund are in
<BR>the suburbs.
<BR>
<BR>But roughly 90 percent of the 5,000 acres in the Lake Calumet master
<BR>plan is inside Chicago. It's likely the district will never again have
<BR>this promising a chance to get its mitts on so much city property.
<BR>
<BR>Stroger and the County Board, which also oversees the Forest Preserve
<BR>District, should nudge the district to mimic IDNR and use the city as a
<BR>middleman to help acquire and environmentally prepare properties to
<BR>become public open space. Right now, only about 1,600 of the planned
<BR>4,000 acres of open space qualify as protected wetlands and natural
<BR>areas. For the county, the opportunity to acquire and move more acres
<BR>under protection is a no-brainer.
<BR>
<BR>To further accelerate the pace of change in the area, Daley and
<BR>Blagojevich would be shrewd to explore dismantling the Port District and
<BR>distributing its responsibilities to other agencies. Because Chicago's
<BR>port is relatively small, the district has been casting about for a
<BR>mission, as its marina scheme and its construction of two golf courses
<BR>suggest. The Port District treats Lake Calumet as something to be fenced
<BR>off, accessible not to the general public, but only to maritime users
<BR>and some local fishermen.
<BR>
<BR>Moving the golf courses to the Chicago Park District, and transferring
<BR>the Port District's maritime operations to city or state control, could
<BR>free up much of the Port District's currently underused landholdings
<BR>near the lake for industrial development, or for open space that IDNR or
<BR>the Forest Preserve District could manage with more expertise. Beyond
<BR>quickening the pace at which that plan comes to fruition, such moves
<BR>also would eliminate a half-century-old unit of government whose reason
<BR>to exist seems increasingly elusive.
<BR>
<BR>The Lake Calumet region, part of a wetlands system that extends from the
<BR>Bishop Ford Freeway on the west to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
<BR>on the east, deserves more imaginative stewardship. What's difficult for
<BR>first-time visitors to grasp about the rebirth of the area is that most
<BR>of its land is not hopelessly polluted. So far, the city has found that
<BR>most environmental challenges there are surmountable. Parcels abused by
<BR>prior industries won't ever be pure--but they can be made well short of
<BR>hazardous and, in most cases, revived for new industrial uses. That's
<BR>happening today on land the city is preparing for IDNR.
<BR>
<BR>Daley and his planning and environmental staffers haven't received the
<BR>credit they deserve for envisioning the Lake Calumet region's next life.
<BR>Achieving that end as rapidly as possible is an accomplishment Daley,
<BR>Blagojevich and Stroger could point to with tremendous pride. The more
<BR>ambitiously they move, the sooner Chicago's last frontier will emerge as
<BR>one of its finest.
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>Copyright (c) 2003, Chicago Tribune
<BR>
<BR>--------------------
<BR>Improved archives!
<BR>
<BR>Searching Chicagotribune.com archives back to 1985 is cheaper and easier
<BR>than ever. New prices for multiple articles can bring your cost down to
<BR>as low as 30 cents an article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/archives
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#0f0f0f" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Ar=
ial" LANG=3D"0">
<BR>
<BR>
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR></FONT></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FAC=
E=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">
<BR></FONT></HTML>

--part1_51.31db4b60.2c3c93d1_boundary--