[BCNnet] Birds, science & journalism

judymellin judymellin@netzero.net
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:35:50 -0800

The point I got from Steve's post was that he considered the "science" to be
flawed, not the reporting.  The reporter used what he/she was given and had
only that to work with.

Many folks had a problem with the seemingly-less-than-scientific way the
data were gathered and the conclusions that were drawn.  I did not
participate in the crow study since we have very few crows at Poplar Creek
but I did the chickadee study since there seemed at least to be an effort to
compare 2002 numbers to those from 2001.  Even then, we apparently had the
high count for chickadees during the observation period (32 individuals) but
it was reported that the most individuals seen was 23!

Here is an article that I wrote for our Poplar Creek newsletter on this
subject.  It is not as detailed as it might have been because of space
constraints but I hope my point came across.

Judy Mellin
Bird Monitor
Poplar Creek Prairie Stewards
Hoffman Estates

WEST NILE VIRUS AND YOU!

Well, not you personally but you as you are all Poplar Creek!  Lots of folks
have wondered how the virus affected “our” birds and you will be pleased to
know that we saw very little effect in the target species.  Here are some
statistics based on how frequently the birds are seen on a weekly monitoring
basis.

Our chickadee population is close to 100% as they are always there for us,
flitting and “chickadee-dee-dee”ing.  The site has never been a hot bed of
crows and we consistently show about 70% presence over the years.

I had thought blue jays were showing a sharp decline because their presence
is 2001 was 85% and then dropped to 61% in 2002.  But, as usual, the more
data we have, the better we can draw conclusions and I found that our blue
jay population seems to run on a two-year cycle as we had 66% in 2000 and
82% in 1999.

There are many factors to consider before we can draw conclusions about any
changes in the numbers of birds.  In 2001-2002, we had no “real” winter so
it is hard to know what diseases may have survived.  The spring of 2002 was
extremely cold and wet while the summer was extremely hot and dry.  These
factors would affect egg-laying rates and survival of hatchlings.

So we need to be vigilant in watching our fine feathered friends and keeping
records of what’s really happening!

Judy Mellin