[BCNnet] Bolivar Fund, our Texas birding friends need help.

BFisher928@aol.com BFisher928@aol.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:23:17 EST

--part1_140.80cac90.2b58c315_boundary

I know this is well out of our area, but the cause pasted below sure sounds
worthwhile. I took this off wisbirdn, the Wisc. IBET

Regards
Bob Fisher
BFisher928@aol.com

    The Houston Audubon Society has working for about 2 years on a
project to acquire 750 acres on the Bolivar Peninsula known as the
Horseshoe Marsh.  For those of you who have visited the Peninsula, it is
the area near the ferry landing surrounding the cast iron lighthouse and
going back to Port Bolivar.  It is a beautiful saltmarsh area with
exposed oyster reefs at low tide and yet also with some significant
upland habitat. It serves as home for many shorebirds, roseate
spoonbills, oystercatchers, long-billed curlews, seaside sparrows and
meadowlarks among many others.

    Acquisition has been extremely difficult as the property is in a
bankruptcy proceeding and the developer was attempting to divide the
property including wetlands into over 400 different tracts.  The survey
of the property alone cost in excess of $50,000 and took months to
complete.

    Through the relentless and extremely dedicated efforts,
primarily of two of our professional staff Joy Hester our executive
director, and Winnie Burkett our wonderful sanctuaries manager, who
worked through endless days, we are now in the final stages of
completion of the project.

    The last step was an appraisal for the bankruptcy court.  Due to
the nature of the proceedings, we could not know the actual acquisition
price until the last step of the process.   We now have received the
appraisal for almost $800,000.   We have received a federal grant to
protect the wetlands, but we still need to raise about $300,000 as
quickly as possible to complete the acquisition.

    To make matters more critical, the Harris County (Houston)
Tollroad Authority is proposing building a toll bridge from Galveston to
the peninsula, doing away with ferry and routing heavy truck traffic
down the highway to High Island and points beyond.  Needless to say, we
are opposing this effort. If the project goes through, the land on the
peninsula likely will be quickly developed over the next 10 - 20 years
or less.  We are working several other efforts to protect the best of
what is left in this area, but the time is now to protect this piece.

    I, and more importantly the birds who live there, would greatly
appreciate any financial support you can give.

  If you can support this effort, please send donations in any
amount to:

Houston Audubon Society
440 Wilchester
Houston, Texas 77079

    Please earmark donations specifically for the "Bolivar Fund" and
they will be used exclusively for the Bolivar sanctuary which this piece
will increase to in excess of 2,000 acres.

    In case you wonder if this area is really anything special, it
has been recognized for more than a decade by the Western Shorebird
Network as a place of "hemispheric importance."   Most recently, it was
recognized as a place of "Global Significance" by BirdLife International
in its Important Bird Area program.

    Thank you for your consideration and hopefully support.

    Jeff Mundy
    President
    Houston Audubon Society

--part1_140.80cac90.2b58c315_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">I know this is well out of our area, but the cause pasted below sure sounds worthwhile. I took this off wisbirdn, the Wisc. IBET<BR>
<BR>
Regards<BR>
Bob Fisher<BR>
BFisher928@aol.com<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Houston Audubon Society has working for about 2 years on a<BR>
project to acquire 750 acres on the Bolivar Peninsula known as the<BR>
Horseshoe Marsh.&nbsp; For those of you who have visited the Peninsula, it is<BR>
the area near the ferry landing surrounding the cast iron lighthouse and<BR>
going back to Port Bolivar.&nbsp; It is a beautiful saltmarsh area with<BR>
exposed oyster reefs at low tide and yet also with some significant<BR>
upland habitat. It serves as home for many shorebirds, roseate<BR>
spoonbills, oystercatchers, long-billed curlews, seaside sparrows and<BR>
meadowlarks among many others.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Acquisition has been extremely difficult as the property is in a<BR>
bankruptcy proceeding and the developer was attempting to divide the<BR>
property including wetlands into over 400 different tracts.&nbsp; The survey<BR>
of the property alone cost in excess of $50,000 and took months to<BR>
complete.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Through the relentless and extremely dedicated efforts,<BR>
primarily of two of our professional staff Joy Hester our executive<BR>
director, and Winnie Burkett our wonderful sanctuaries manager, who<BR>
worked through endless days, we are now in the final stages of<BR>
completion of the project.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The last step was an appraisal for the bankruptcy court.&nbsp; Due to<BR>
the nature of the proceedings, we could not know the actual acquisition<BR>
price until the last step of the process.&nbsp;&nbsp; We now have received the<BR>
appraisal for almost $800,000.&nbsp;&nbsp; We have received a federal grant to<BR>
protect the wetlands, but we still need to raise about $300,000 as<BR>
quickly as possible to complete the acquisition.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; To make matters more critical, the Harris County (Houston)<BR>
Tollroad Authority is proposing building a toll bridge from Galveston to<BR>
the peninsula, doing away with ferry and routing heavy truck traffic<BR>
down the highway to High Island and points beyond.&nbsp; Needless to say, we<BR>
are opposing this effort. If the project goes through, the land on the<BR>
peninsula likely will be quickly developed over the next 10 - 20 years<BR>
or less.&nbsp; We are working several other efforts to protect the best of<BR>
what is left in this area, but the time is now to protect this piece.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I, and more importantly the birds who live there, would greatly<BR>
appreciate any financial support you can give.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; If you can support this effort, please send donations in any<BR>
amount to:<BR>
<BR>
Houston Audubon Society<BR>
440 Wilchester<BR>
Houston, Texas 77079<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Please earmark donations specifically for the "Bolivar Fund" and<BR>
they will be used exclusively for the Bolivar sanctuary which this piece<BR>
will increase to in excess of 2,000 acres.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In case you wonder if this area is really anything special, it<BR>
has been recognized for more than a decade by the Western Shorebird<BR>
Network as a place of "hemispheric importance."&nbsp;&nbsp; Most recently, it was<BR>
recognized as a place of "Global Significance" by BirdLife International<BR>
in its Important Bird Area program.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thank you for your consideration and hopefully support.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Jeff Mundy <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; President<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Houston Audubon Society<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_140.80cac90.2b58c315_boundary--