[BCNnet] Complicated politics

Alan Anderson casresearch@comcast.net
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:29:37 -0600

I thought that the report that Stephen Packard sent to Forest Preserve
Friends was important to share with BCNnet as well, and Stephen gave me
permission to forward it.  I criticize the district on a lot of issues so am
guilty too of not being positive and complementary enough at times.   Good
things to think about and follow up on.

Alan Anderson,   casresearch@comcast.net  Des Plaines
----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Packard
To: Friends listserv
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 8:24 AM
Subject: [fpfriends] Complicated politics

I've heard from a couple of sources (one being Larry Suffredin) that it
seemed like a mistake that we didn't generate letters to the Pioneer Press
papers in response to their recent excellent features on the forest
preserves.

Next week would be a good time for letters to all papers in support of
forest preserve values.

The budget will probably be passed by then, one way or another, perhaps with
ammendments that will be positive. Perhaps not. But our issues will be aired
by a variety of Commissioners. Good letters to editors (and a good volumn of
letters) will be important in reaching the public and conveying to the
newspaper writers and editors that the preserves are important. We
appreciate their forests and meadows and wetlands -- and wildlife, and
prized recreational opportunities, and just as peaceful places to be happy.
Newspapers are a significant part of the democratic process -- which
ultimately determines the fate of the forest preserves. We need to write to
them.

We rightly celebrate the three reformers -- Suffredin, Quigley, and
Claypool -- who have shown a lot of leadership on forest preserve issues.
BUT we should be careful not to fall into the trap of being one-dimentional
supporters of one political faction. There are also a long list of fine
Commissioners who are politically in a faction that may be opposed to those
three at the moment, who have helped the forest preserves a lot and who
deserve our support for being responsive to us.

To me, one of the most important element of most letters at this time would
be the ones that supported the remarkable, excellent initiatives of new
General Superintendent that are under way. Superintendent Steve Bylina has a
hard job, and he can't do it in opposition to his boss, President Stroger.
We need to thank him for his many excellent new initiatives. The overall
tone should be congratulatory Bylina and the District -- certainly not
condemnatory. Cynicism in many ways works against us. We also have a
challenge in that we need to congratulate both sides in this controversy for
the parts of their efforts that are truly in support of the preserves. Board
members come and go. The preserves have to last forever. And they need good
care from week to week and year to year. They can't wait for elections. It's
part of our job to help as best we can through the political structure that
exists at any given time.

That's why it's so important that -- thanks in part to our efforts --
President Stroger has appointed a principled and determined manager like
Bylina and allowed him considerable flexibility to clean house. The job
can't be done quickly. It will take time. But it is proceeding in a way that
is inspiring to many of us. The list of important initiatives already
includes:

1) the excellent new land management guidelines that we've been waiting for
now for six years. They're great.
2) the work of the Resource Management Crews -- still in its early stages
but gradually picking up steam
3) the appointment of Pritchett as acting supt. He was an excellent
administrator, very receptive to conservation ideas, a pleasure to work
with.
4) the appointment of Bylina as Superintendent. He has a hard job. But he is
seriously focused on turning the District around. You don't turn a
battleship like the FPD on a dime, but he's doing impressively well so far.
5) the appropriation for seven (6? or 8?) new Land Manager summer positions.
These people will work with the Resource Management crews. They should be a
big help.
6) The new "Ecological Assessment" presented to the board. It's a landmark
in FPD history. It is outspoken, clear, and right on the need to thin the
oak woods, burn the woods and prairies, control the deer. It sets very, very
ambitious goals. (I'll send a separate note on that.)
7. The excellent effort at an effective fall burn season, despite difficult
weather.

All of these in a few months suggest that a revolution is perceptively under
way. That is happening because we who love the preserves are a significant
force that can be applied to all sides, and we are being listened to. We
would not have that kind of influence with Bylina and Stroger if we were
seen as merely supporters of a possible future majority of reform
commissioners who yet have no administrative power at the moment.

There are a number of other excellent initiatives also in the works. But the
list above is plenty for us to be publicly thankful for.

It would help these good initiatives to continue for us to thank the people
responsible. These people include our local Commissioners, President
Stroger, and General Superintendent Steve Bylina. The best way to thank them
is in public -- including in all the newspapers.

We should also be thanking all Commissioners who have been showing valuable
leadership. These include Suffredin, Quigley, Claypool, Steele, Gorman,
Daley, Peraica, Goslin, Maldonado and others.

It would be great for the Commissioners and the newspapers (local and
regional) to hear from us citizens who care about the preserves -- about the
animals and the plants and the public who appreciates them.

S.