[BCNnet] Bird Collision Monitors Volunteers?

Robbie Hunsinger redstart1@earthlink.net
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:12:29 -0500

Dear BCN,

It is that time of year again and the Chicago Collision Monitors are
starting their rounds again August 25th-this Monday!

This is the date that the display lights should go out downtown for fall
migration.

If anyone is interested in volunteering for this project, please drop me an
e-mail.  The program has grown quite a bit this past spring, and we now have
a database system, field report forms, business cards, a Hotline and many
other resources.

As many of you know, I am also now federally subpermitted to treat collision
victims with an anti-concussive medication and it is a miracle drug!  Our
rescue to release rates are phenomenal.

We have established a network with many security workers, sweepers and
doormen in the Loop and they now help us locate injured birds. Many property
managers are doing what they can to reduce collision risk as well.

This past spring, the Loop was the darkest many folks have seen it in years,
and we hope for a similar fall.

We could really use a few more pre-dawn monitors this fall. Even if you
could get up early only one morning a month, it would really make a
difference to our program and the birds! We simply canšt cover as many days
or as many areas as we need to.

I am also looking for folks that might be able to do a little outreach work
within the buildings.  Just turning out office lights at night or pulling
shades can make a huge difference in nighttime bird strikes. Many people
would take care to do this if they knew it would make such a difference.

If you are interested in the monitoring project or if you have any ideas for
helping the birds, please contact me.

Thank you and happy birding!

Robbie Hunsinger Coordinator, Chicago Bird Collision Monitors
http://www.birdmonitors.net
hm 773 774 5509

Hotlines for injuries 773 988 1867