[BCNnet] not so early risers needed for monitoring

redstart@telocity.com redstart@telocity.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:34:56 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3115650896_1078408_MIME_Part

Dear BCN,
Thanks so much to all of you who contacted me and Ken about the Chicago
Collision Monitoring Project. We have been fortunate to gain some wonderful
volunteers for this project and we are making a real difference in rescuing
birds that encounter hazards in the Loop during migration.

The city is continuing to cooperate and we have more lights out now than we
have had. I spoke to Barbara Quintana (not sure of spelling?) at Bank One.
She was very receptive to the idea of helping the birds and immediately got
their lights out.  We are working on getting more lights out, and you would
be surprised just how many people like the idea of helping these beautiful
migrants make a successful journey.

I am writing today because we could really use some more volunteers through
the end of the October migration period and the hours are quite flexible.
There are areas where we need help during more normal morning and daytime
hours and we can always use more help in the late night/early morning shift.
Weekends would be helpful also.

I am hoping to co-ordinate with:
1.) folks going to work early in the Loop,
2.) those who stay late in the Loop, and
3.) those who have a generous lunchbreak who might be able to go out some
days to help  make rescues and take notes on collisions.

I know that you are all busy with your own conservation efforts, but if
anyone has time to offer in the Loop area please contact me.

We are particularly interested in the area close to the Sears Tower and also
East Randolph over by Prudential Plaza and the Amoco/Aon Building.  With our
current roster of volunteers we are only going to have at most three
mornings during the week covered. This means that little redstarts, grey
cheeked thrashers, nashville warblers, oven birds, white throated sparrows,
woodcocks, cuckoos and others will be on their own and at a real
disadvantage for several mornings a week.  We are finding many birds
exhausted from trying to find a way out of the tall building canyons and
they become easy prey for gulls, etc.  Some are temporarily stunned and need
shelter for a few minutes. We are able to save these birds.

On another note,  Caribou Coffee at 55 W. Monroe is going to sponsor a shade
grown organic coffee gift for our partipating building managers.  I think
this is really great.

Please contact me if you might be able to spare an hour or two to help our
feathered friends. Even if you can only go once, believe me it is a great
help. I have to be out of town next week and I am particularly concerned
about the lack of coverage that week.

Thank you and Happy Birding,

Robbie Hunsinger
773 774 5509
773 988 1867

PS I saw my first Black Throated Blue Warbler one morning while out
monitoring  - just one of the secondary benefits!

--MS_Mac_OE_3115650896_1078408_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>not so early risers needed for monitoring</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Dear BCN,<BR>
Thanks so much to all of you who contacted me and Ken about the Chicago Col=
lision Monitoring Project. We have been fortunate to gain some wonderful vol=
unteers for this project and we are making a real difference in rescuing bir=
ds that encounter hazards in the Loop during migration. <BR>
<BR>
The city is continuing to cooperate and we have more lights out now than we=
 have had. I spoke to Barbara Quintana (not sure of spelling?) at Bank One. =
She was very receptive to the idea of helping the birds and immediately got =
their lights out. &nbsp;We are working on getting more lights out, and you w=
ould be surprised just how many people like the idea of helping these beauti=
ful migrants make a successful journey.<BR>
<BR>
I am writing today because we could really use some more volunteers through=
 the end of the October migration period and the hours are quite flexible. &=
nbsp;There are areas where we need help during more normal morning and dayti=
me hours and we can always use more help in the late night/early morning shi=
ft. &nbsp;Weekends would be helpful also.<BR>
<BR>
I am hoping to co-ordinate with: <BR>
1.) folks going to work early in the Loop,<BR>
2.) those who stay late in the Loop, and <BR>
3.) those who have a generous lunchbreak who might be able to go out some d=
ays to help &nbsp;make rescues and take notes on collisions<TT>.<BR>
<BR>
</TT>I know that you are all busy with your own conservation efforts, but i=
f anyone has time to offer in the Loop area please contact me.<BR>
<BR>
We are particularly interested in the area close to the Sears Tower and als=
o East Randolph over by Prudential Plaza and the Amoco/Aon Building. &nbsp;W=
ith our current roster of volunteers we are only going to have at most three=
 mornings during the week covered. This means that little redstarts, grey ch=
eeked thrashers, nashville warblers, oven birds, white throated sparrows, wo=
odcocks, cuckoos and others will be on their own and at a real disadvantage =
for several mornings a week. &nbsp;We are finding many birds exhausted from =
trying to find a way out of the tall building canyons and they become easy p=
rey for gulls, etc. &nbsp;Some are temporarily stunned and need shelter for =
a few minutes. We are able to save these birds.<BR>
<BR>
On another note, &nbsp;Caribou Coffee at 55 W. Monroe is going to sponsor a=
 shade grown organic coffee gift for our partipating building managers. &nbs=
p;I think this is really great.<BR>
<BR>
Please contact me if you might be able to spare an hour or two to help our =
feathered friends. Even if you can only go once, believe me it is a great he=
lp. I have to be out of town next week and I am particularly concerned about=
 the lack of coverage that week.<BR>
<BR>
Thank you and Happy Birding,<BR>
<BR>
Robbie Hunsinger<BR>
773 774 5509<BR>
773 988 1867<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
PS I saw my first Black Throated Blue Warbler one morning while out monitor=
ing &nbsp;- just one of the secondary benefits! &nbsp;
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3115650896_1078408_MIME_Part--