[BCNnet] update Art Inst pond & new bldg

Ryan Chew ryanwc@msn.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:16:56 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C25F61.1951E8A0

I'm impressed that the Art Institute is so responsive.  If you've got an =
e-mail address for whoever is the most appropriate contact, I'll write th=
em an appreciative note.  I might suggest that others do the same.

Ryan Chew
ryanwc@msn.com
www.chicagoriverpaddle.com

----- Original Message -----
From: Robbie Hunsinger
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 11:54 AM
To: Bird Conservation Network-L
Subject: [BCNnet] update Art Inst pond & new bldg =20

Dear BCN,
I have some excellent news about the Noguchi pond at the Art Institute. T=
his
has been a significant kill site for years because of the unfortunate
placement of the water against the reflective glass.

I called the Executive Dir of public affairs Eileen Harakal and told her
about the problem.
She was very upset about it and mentioned that I should write the Vice Pr=
es
of Operations Cal Audrain. I went ahead and called him to tell him about =
the
sad situation and ask that they drain the pond for the duration of the
migration season. Eileen was in his office when I called to speak with hi=
about the issue.

She called me back immediately after  their meeting and told me that they
would DRAIN the pond, today or tomorrow!   Let's make sure that this
happens. I will be there in the am monitoring, but please let me know the
status if you happen by there.

We need to help them find other solutions for this problem if possible fo=
the spring migration, but for the remainder of fall migration many birds
will have a chance of surviving that particular collision.

Eileen was very receptive to the bird issue and may be able to help us on
issues relating to the new building.

Also, after speaking with Ken Wysocki, it seems that the type of glass us=
ed
in the new structure will be crucial. Any glass can be tough for birds, b=
ut
that damn reflective glass is a magnet for strikes.

Any way of finding out more about this design? or type of glass proposed?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions,

Robbie Hunsinger

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C25F61.1951E8A0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <=
DIV>I'm impressed that the Art Institute is so responsive.&nbsp; If you'v=
e got an e-mail address for whoever is the most appropriate contact, I'll=
 write them an appreciative note.&nbsp; I might suggest that others do th=
e same.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Ryan Chew</DIV> <DIV><A href=3D"mail=
to:ryanwc@msn.com">ryanwc@msn.com</A></DIV> <DIV><A href=3D"http://www.ch=
icagoriverpaddle.com">www.chicagoriverpaddle.com</A></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</D=
IV> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LE=
FT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV style=3D=
"FONT: 10pt Arial">----- Original Message -----</DIV> <DIV style=3D"BACKG=
ROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt Arial; COLOR: black"><B>From:</B> Robbie Hunsi=
nger</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, Septem=
ber 18, 2002 11:54 AM</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>To:</B> Bi=
rd Conservation Network-L</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Subjec=
t:</B> [BCNnet] update Art Inst pond &amp; new bldg </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</D=
IV>Dear BCN,<BR>I have some excellent news about the Noguchi pond at the =
Art Institute. This<BR>has been a significant kill site for years because=
 of the unfortunate<BR>placement of the water against the reflective glas=
s.<BR><BR>I called the Executive Dir of public affairs Eileen Harakal and=
 told her<BR>about the problem.<BR>She was very upset about it and mentio=
ned that I should write the Vice Pres<BR>of Operations Cal Audrain. I wen=
t ahead and called him to tell him about the<BR>sad situation and ask tha=
t they drain the pond for the duration of the<BR>migration season. Eileen=
 was in his office when I called to speak with him<BR>about the issue.<BR=
><BR>She called me back immediately after&nbsp; their meeting and told me=
 that they<BR>would DRAIN the pond, today or tomorrow!&nbsp;&nbsp; Let's =
make sure that this<BR>happens. I will be there in the am monitoring, but=
 please let me know the<BR>status if you happen by there.<BR><BR>We need =
to help them find other solutions for this problem if possible for<BR>the=
 spring migration, but for the remainder of fall migration many birds<BR>=
will have a chance of surviving that particular collision.<BR><BR>Eileen =
was very receptive to the bird issue and may be able to help us on<BR>iss=
ues relating to the new building.<BR><BR>Also, after speaking with Ken Wy=
socki, it seems that the type of glass used<BR>in the new structure will =
be crucial. Any glass can be tough for birds, but<BR>that damn reflective=
 glass is a magnet for strikes.<BR><BR>Any way of finding out more about =
this design? or type of glass proposed?<BR><BR>Thanks everyone for your s=
uggestions,<BR><BR>Robbie Hunsinger<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>______=