[BCNnet] update Art Inst pond & new bldg

Robbie Hunsinger hunsinger@telocity.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:56:31 -0500

Dear BCN,
I have some excellent news about the Noguchi pond at the Art Institute. This
has been a significant kill site for years because of the unfortunate
placement of the water against the reflective glass.

I called the Executive Dir of public affairs Eileen Harakal and told her
about the problem.
She was very upset about it and mentioned that I should write the Vice Pres
of Operations Cal Audrain. I went ahead and called him to tell him about the
sad situation and ask that they drain the pond for the duration of the
migration season. Eileen was in his office when I called to speak with him
about the issue.

She called me back immediately after  their meeting and told me that they
would DRAIN the pond, today or tomorrow!   Let's make sure that this
happens. I will be there in the am monitoring, but please let me know the
status if you happen by there.

We need to help them find other solutions for this problem if possible for
the spring migration, but for the remainder of fall migration many birds
will have a chance of surviving that particular collision.

Eileen was very receptive to the bird issue and may be able to help us on
issues relating to the new building.

Also, after speaking with Ken Wysocki, it seems that the type of glass used
in the new structure will be crucial. Any glass can be tough for birds, but
that damn reflective glass is a magnet for strikes.

Any way of finding out more about this design? or type of glass proposed?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions,

Robbie Hunsinger