[BCNnet] help-new glass Art Inst Bldg at Columbus

Robbie Hunsinger hunsinger@telocity.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 08:38:26 -0500

Dear BCN,
I am working as a bird collision monitor in the loop and have been very
disturbed by the consistent number of birds that strike the glass of the Art
Inst building on Columbus (just south of Monroe.)   The highly reflective
glass of the building mirrors the trees of Grant park and birds strike the
glass very regularly. Tragically, with the Noguchi Fountains pond right in
front of the glass, the birds land in the water and immediately drown. It is
a very sad state. I am working on trying to get the pond drained and will
keep you posted on this. I am writing this morning about a different but
related matter however.

I have just read a story at the Chicago Tribune announcing the Art
Institute's plans for a new mid-rise glass and steel building on the site of
the old Goodman Theatre, just one building north of the current bird trap.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/yahoo/chi-0209180087sep18(0,3296033).stor
y?coll=chi%2Dnewsaol%2Dheadlines

Can we do anything to influence this project?  This is one of the most
consistent kill sites for migrants in the loop.  All types of birds hit the
glass at the Art Inst, from hummingbirds to thrushes to the cape may and
mourning warbler I found dead in there yesterday. I am guessing an average
of 2 to three birds a day die at this site during the months of migration.
We are gathering data on that now. I have found as many as four.  These are
birds found despite the Art Inst's own 2X a day cleanings.

It is a terrible location for a reflective glass building . They are also
planning a glass "walkway" above street level to get to the museum from
Millenium park. This will be yet another death trap for these birds.  I am
very alarmed about this new addition and can't believe they are talking
about adding all that glass to such an important bird flyway.

Any suggestions on what can be done? There are meetings coming up at City
Hall and I don't really know what else is going on. I don't know the avenues
to follow with this, but I feel it is crucial that we weigh in on these
plans and that we do it soon.

Please let me know your thoughts and any ideas on what can be done.

Thank you,

Robbie Hunsinger
773 774-5509
773 988-1867