[BCNnet] "Fewer than three in 10 acres burned..."

keedo@merr.com keedo@merr.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:59:14 -0400

Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 06:10:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Fw: Senator Daschel, Do not support Bush's Forest Plan

First from an article in OregonLive.com: "Much of the land was only lightly
singed or not burned at all. Fewer than three in 10 (of 500,000) acres
burned in Washington and Oregon were charred severely enough to kill
surface vegetation and extensively damage trees."  from Burn: Fires
could open new debates on salvaging  09/01/02 MICHAEL MILSTEIN
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_stand
ard.xsl?/base/front_page/1030881316237010.xml

(Also linked in: http://www.tidepool.org/)
Below is a letter for Senator Daschel (modify if you wish) that can be
sent via the Center for Biological Diversity. Similar letters for your
Senators and  Mr Bush are also linked in the left column in:
http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/swcbd/Programs/fire/bush-plan.html

to Daschel: Subject: Please do not support the Bush Fire Plan

I am writing to express concern over President Bush's Fire Plan and the
proposed rider mandating exemptions of "fuels reduction" projects from
environmental laws and judicial review in this year's Interior
Appropriations bill. I urge you not to support any upcoming attempts to
eliminate public participation in protecting communities from fire and
managing our national forests.

In a recent press event Senators Larry Craig, Pete Domenici, Jon Kyl and
others claimed that opposition from environmentalists has held up
progress on reducing forest fuels. There is no credible evidence that
the administrative and legal processes that allow citizen participation
in management and protection of our public forests are slowing down
legitimate fuels reduction efforts.

To the contrary, the conservation community strongly supports aggressive
focused efforts to reduce fire risk to communities and forests. There is
clear scientific justification for prioritizing fire risk reduction
efforts near homes and communities- where they will do the most good.
There is also evidence that clearing brush and small trees may help in
reducing the intensity of fire behavior and facilitate use of safe and
effective controlled fires to reduce the risk of stand replacing fires.

It is certain that many legitimate thinning and burning projects
designed for community protection and fire reduction go through the
public process with no challenges. In fact, many of these projects have
so little impact that they don't even need to go through full
environmental review. Efficient authorities such as categorical
exclusions and decision memos are often appropriate tools for analyzing
the effects of these environmentally benign projects.

Projects that get challenged invariably involve logging of large mature
and old growth trees often under the guise of fuels reduction. As you
know these trees are fire resistant and are very important wildlife
habitat. Logging these valuable trees is not effective at reducing fire
risk but does reduce the ecological integrity of our national forests.

Once again I urge you to maintain the public's opportunity to
participate in decisions affecting our national forests. Elimination of
public participation will only increase controversy rather encouraging
cooperation on these critical forest issues.

      Sincerely,

This email was sent to: keedo@merr.com