[BCNnet] RE: unlogged forests are not necessarily healthy

LeeRamsey@aol.com LeeRamsey@aol.com
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 11:02:05 EDT

As one who has spent quite a lot of time in the forests of the West, I find
the simple slogan of greatest concern these days to be "thinning." It's easy
to observe that timber companies operate exclusively by clear-cutting:
there's no profit in any other method. So, if we imagine that commercial
operators will restore our forests to health by removing tree and brush
overgrowth (as opposed, for instance, to turning them into tree-farm
monocultures), we should prepare to be sadly disappointed.

Lee Ramsey