[BCNnet] results of chickadee survey

Karolyn Beebe Karolyn Beebe" <keedo@merr.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:26:25 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_01B5_01C27FEE.0914D760

Virus claims another species
West Nile takes toll on chickadees

By William Mullen
Tribune staff reporter
Published October 30, 2002

Black-capped chickadees, popular back-yard residents with a sweetly =
familiar "chickadee-dee-dee" call, have been exterminated in huge swaths =
around Chicago by West Nile virus, according to a report released =
Tuesday by the Audubon Society."

 Story linked today in:  http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/

(comes up at: =
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0210300210oct30,0,1685184.st=
ory?coll=3Dchi%2Dnewslocal%2Dhed )

Sans much good information from the press release! In notes announcing =
the article I'll give folks a chance to read further by including this =
link to it:
 http://www.ece.iit.edu/pipermail/bcnnet/2002-October/000278.html=20

Well Done Judy, Everyone! =20

Karolyn Beebe
Madison WI

On 10/29 Judy Pollock wrote (in part):
> The results of the Audubon-BCN Census study of chickadees were =
released today. The gist of it is that we found three large holes in our =
map of the data where no chickadees at all were sighted, and in other =
areas numbers of chickadees were low or low to normal. I have pasted in =
a lengthy press release below with the thought that you may find some of =
it interesting. Some of the information may be new to you, and you can =
take a look at the quotes we put in to get a sense of our take on this =
story - and let me know how you think we did! Watch the Trib and =
Sun-Times tomorrow for our story.
>=20
> We had a great many participants, including those who responded to an =
announcement on BCNnet. This allows us to see and describe things at a =
level of accuracy that no one else is able to. After researching this =
press release and finding out how little people really know about the =
impacts of this disease on wild birds, it is clear to me that the =
information we are generating is very useful and much needed. If you =
would like to be involved in organizing the next steps of this study, =
please let me know.

------=_NextPart_000_01B5_01C27FEE.0914D760

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3><FONT size=3D4>Virus claims another =
species<BR>West=20
Nile takes toll on chickadees</FONT><BR></FONT><BR><FONT face=3D"Tw Cen =
MT">By=20
William Mullen<BR>Tribune staff reporter<BR>Published October 30,=20
2002</FONT><BR><BR></FONT><FONT size=3D3>Black-capped chickadees, =
popular=20
back-yard residents with a</FONT> sweetly familiar "chickadee-dee-dee" =
call,=20
have been exterminated in huge swaths around Chicago by West Nile virus, =

according to <FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>a report released Tuesday by =
the Audubon=20
Society."</FONT><BR><BR>&nbsp;Story linked today =
in:&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/"><FONT=20
size=3D2>http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/</FONT></A><BR><BR><FON=
T=20
size=3D2>(comes up at: </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0210300210oct30,0,16=
85184.story?coll=3Dchi%2Dnewslocal%2Dhed"><FONT=20
size=3D2>http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0210300210oct30,0,1=
685184.story?coll=3Dchi%2Dnewslocal%2Dhed</FONT></A><FONT=20
size=3D2> )<BR><BR>Sans&nbsp;much good information&nbsp;from the press =
release!=20
In&nbsp;notes announcing the article I'll give folks a chance to read=20
further&nbsp;by including&nbsp;this&nbsp;link to it:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.ece.iit.edu/pipermail/bcnnet/2002-October/000278.html"=
><FONT=20
size=3D2>http://www.ece.iit.edu/pipermail/bcnnet/2002-October/000278.html=
</FONT></A><FONT=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;<BR><BR><FONT size=3D3>Well Done Judy, Everyone!&nbsp;=20
</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Karolyn Beebe</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Madison WI<BR><BR><BR>On 10/29 Judy Pollock wrote =
(in=20
part):<BR>&gt; The results of the Audubon-BCN Census study of chickadees =
were=20
released today. The gist of it is that we found three large holes in our =
map of=20
the data where no chickadees at all were sighted, and in other areas =
numbers of=20
chickadees were low or low to normal. I have pasted in a lengthy press =
release=20
below with the thought that you may find some of it interesting. Some of =
the=20
information may be new to you, and you can take a look at the quotes we =
put in=20
to get a sense of our take on this story - and let me know how you think =
we did!=20
Watch the Trib and Sun-Times tomorrow for our story.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; We =
had a=20
great many participants, including those who responded to an =
announcement on=20
BCNnet. This allows us to see and describe things at a level of accuracy =
that no=20
one else is able to. After researching this press release and finding =
out how=20
little people really know about the impacts of this disease on wild =
birds, it is=20
clear to me that the information we are generating is very useful and =
much=20
needed. If you would like to be involved in organizing the next steps of =
this=20
study, please let me know.<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_01B5_01C27FEE.0914D760--