[BCNnet] Migratory Endangered Species on Military Bases

Evan WW Craig Evan WW Craig <auk@interaccess.com>
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:27:07 -0500 (CDT)

I discussed this with our US Congressman Mark Kirk, who, besides being a
military aviator himself, has been endorsed by the Sierra Club for his
willingness to buck his (R) party on environmental votes.

He believes that the exemption to the migratory bird act needs to be extended
to the military, just as is to commercial aviation, only sufficient to allow
our military bases to support their intended use. He cites the fact that
encroaching urban development has concentrated species on military bases as
refuges. We proposed that the military take responsibility then to acquire
buffer zones around each base. He supports this, but suspects cities and
states will oppose an anticipated loss of tax base. This of course ignores
the benefits of open space to a community.

The reality here is that we're not going to be able to just say no to the
military at this moment in US history. We need to look for other ways to
negotiate this.

---
Evan Craig
Chair, Woods & Wetlands Group of Sierra Club
http://illinois.sierraclub.org/w&w
847-680-6437
... Work to Live, Live to Ride, Ride to Work!