[BCNnet] Impact on Birds/West Nile Virus

Yvonne Homeyer homeyer@earthlink.net
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 06:52:28 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C28885.BC3AE740

In the Missouri Conservationist, Nov. issue, the following astounding =
article appeared under the headline "Wild birds not threatened by West =
Nile Virus":

"Are you worried about what WNV will do to bird populations?  Don't be.  =
Bird experts say that wildl birds already are rapidly developing =
immunity to the imported disease.

The World Bird Sanctuary in St. Louis treated and releaed several great =
horned owls that recovered from the diseae.  WNV will claim the lives of =
some birds, but the rest will adapt to the virus, just as they have =
adapted to other diseases.  There is no evidence to suggest that WNV =
will devastate North American bird populations."

Gee, what a happy ending to the WNV story. Just like that my worries =
went away! =20

Could somebody point me to some statistics or other authoritative =
resource to quote in my yet-to-be-written Letter to the Editor?  I =
didn't think anyone disputed the fact that WNV is killing birds in large =
numbers, yet apparently our Missouri taxpayer supported employees at the =
Mo. Dept. of Conservation have to be educated on the most basic facts of =
wild bird anything.  FYI, the Missouri Conservationist is the free =
magazine of the Missouri Dept. of Conservation, the primary empasis of =
which is fishing and hunting.  Ironically, MDC is also the co-sponsor =
(with USFWS) of the Missouri Bird Conservation Initiative, which is =
having its next meeting in December. =20

Now, on to the article "Controlling Your Timber Sale Tax - why pay the =
government more than its fair share?" or "Deer Hunting on the fly - =
hunting strategies for busy people in a busy world - in a perfect world, =
we'd all own 200 acres of prime deer habitat.  We'd all have time to =
scout year-round and when deer season rolls around we could hunt wheneve =
we want."

Regards, and thanks in advance,

Yvonne Homeyer
Webster Groves Nature Study Society
St. Louis, MO
homeyer@earthlink.net
www.wgnss.org

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C28885.BC3AE740

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In the Missouri Conservationist, Nov. =
issue, the=20
following astounding article appeared under the headline "Wild birds not =

threatened by West Nile Virus":</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Are you worried about what WNV will do =
to bird=20
populations?&nbsp; Don't be.&nbsp; Bird experts say that wildl birds =
already are=20
rapidly developing immunity to the imported disease.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The World Bird Sanctuary in St. Louis =
treated and=20
releaed several great horned owls that recovered from the diseae.&nbsp; =
WNV will=20
claim the lives of some birds, but the rest will adapt to the virus, =
just as=20
they have adapted to other diseases.&nbsp; There is no evidence to =
suggest that=20
WNV will devastate North American bird populations."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Gee, what a happy ending to the WNV story. Just like that my =
worries went=20
away!&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Could somebody point me to some statistics or other authoritative =
resource=20
to quote in my yet-to-be-written Letter to the Editor?&nbsp;&nbsp;I =
didn't think=20
anyone disputed the fact that WNV is killing birds in large numbers, yet =

apparently our Missouri taxpayer supported employees at the Mo. Dept. of =

Conservation have to be educated on the most basic facts of wild bird=20
anything.&nbsp; FYI, the Missouri Conservationist is the free magazine =
of the=20
Missouri Dept. of Conservation, the primary empasis of which is fishing =
and=20
hunting.&nbsp; Ironically, MDC is also the co-sponsor (with USFWS) of =
the=20
Missouri Bird Conservation Initiative, which is having its next meeting =
in=20
December.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Now, on to the article "Controlling Your Timber Sale Tax - why pay =
the=20
government more than its fair share?" or "Deer Hunting on the fly - =
hunting=20
strategies for busy people in a busy world - in a perfect world, we'd =
all own=20
200 acres of prime deer habitat.&nbsp; We'd all have time to scout =
year-round=20
and when deer season rolls around we could hunt wheneve we want."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards, and thanks in advance,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Yvonne Homeyer</DIV>
<DIV>Webster Groves Nature Study Society</DIV>
<DIV>St. Louis, MO</DIV>
<DIV><A =
href=3D"mailto:homeyer@earthlink.net">homeyer@earthlink.net</A></DIV>
<DIV><A href=3D"http://www.wgnss.org">www.wgnss.org</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C28885.BC3AE740--