[BCNnet] Fw: Chickadees wiped out by WNV

Judy Pollock bobolnk@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 08 Nov 2002 10:03:47 -0600

To support Terry's comments, in Evanston, we watched the crows get sick and
die, and at the same time heard many anecdotal reports about chickadees and
other birds ill with the same symptoms and dying.  Very soon after, the
human West Nile cases started, and then the widespread spraying.  It's
important to keep in mind that very very few of these birds were tested for
West Nile, and a detailed look at what exactly killed them is a critical
missing piece of information - until we know that, all of this is just
speculation.

It seems to me that there has been LESS insecticide spraying in my
neighborhood this year - I live in the part of Evanston that was formerly
called "Frogtown" and summer spraying is an unfortunate fixture in our
lives, but I never heard the trucks this year.

It is worth noting that I have some friends in Chicago who lost all the
fish in their aquarium right after the spray truck came by.  The spray
kills fish and many invertebrates. It is not supposed to harm birds, at
least not so dramatically - but I wonder who's looking at longer-term
effects on the ecosystem and wildlife?

Judy Pollock
bobolnk@ix.netcom.com