[BCNnet] wind turbine issues?

Evan WW Craig auk@interaccess.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 13:11:11 -0500 (CDT)

Avian mortality is a known but minor issue with wind turbines. Data are being
gathered, and improvements are being implemented. The most important factors
seem to be:

* Avoid putting turbines in known migratory corridors.
* Put the turbines where the birds can see them from a distance.
* Larger, slower-turning turbines exhibit reduced avian mortality.

With these factors taken into consideration, Audubon (in CA) said it would
unconditionally support extension of the federal wind energy production tax
credit.

For more reports and information, see American Wind Energy Association's:
http://www.awea.org/wew/wewenviro.html webpage on this issue.

---
Evan Craig
Chair, Woods & Wetlands Group of Sierra Club
http://illinois.sierraclub.org/w&w
847-680-6437
... Work to Live, Live to Ride, Ride to Work!