[BCNnet] MEA CULPA re: L. Calumet Marina

WJMarcisz@aol.com WJMarcisz@aol.com
Mon, 6 May 2002 22:07:27 EDT

--part1_160.d4ffbd9.2a0890df_boundary

Dear BCNnet,

First of all, let me say thanks to everyone who called/E-mailed Ron Abrant at
the US Army Corps of Engineers. It appears that a LOT of people contacted
him, and at the very least I'm sure that he is now aware that there is a  lot
of public concern about the proposed L. Calumet marina.

Now for the bad news. Apparently I did not have my facts quite straight, and
the "Letter of Permission" process IS the appropriate procedure for the USACE
to follow in a project of his nature. I apologize for this oversight. When I
spoke with Abrant this afternoon, he told me that since there would be no
discharge of fill material during this project, a Clean Water Act Section 404
permit is NOT required, and the "Letter of Permission" process is the correct
procedure to follow.

So, I very much appreciate the effort that so many of you have made, but it
appears that a future 1,000 boat marina at L. Calumet is now a virtual given.
Our comments, no matter how well-intentioned, will apparently have little or
no influence on the outcome of this procedure.To those who had planned to
contact Abrant on Tuesday, I would ask you to refrain from contacting him, as
it will likely have little or no effect on the project.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sincerely,

Walter Marcisz, Chicago, Cook Co.
WJMarcisz@aol.com

--part1_160.d4ffbd9.2a0890df_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Dear BCNnet,
<BR>
<BR>First of all, let me say thanks to everyone who called/E-mailed Ron Abrant at the US Army Corps of Engineers. It appears that a LOT of people contacted him, and at the very least I'm sure that he is now aware that there is a &nbsp;lot of public concern about the proposed L. Calumet marina.
<BR>
<BR>Now for the bad news. Apparently I did not have my facts quite straight, and the "Letter of Permission" process IS the appropriate procedure for the USACE to follow in a project of his nature. I apologize for this oversight. When I spoke with Abrant this afternoon, he told me that since there would be no discharge of fill material during this project, a Clean Water Act Section 404 permit is NOT required, and the "Letter of Permission" process is the correct procedure to follow.
<BR>
<BR>So, I very much appreciate the effort that so many of you have made, but it appears that a future 1,000 boat marina at L. Calumet is now a virtual given. Our comments, no matter how well-intentioned, will apparently have little or no influence on the outcome of this procedure.To those who had planned to contact Abrant on Tuesday, I would ask you to refrain from contacting him, as it will likely have little or no effect on the project.
<BR>
<BR>Thanks again for all your help.
<BR>
<BR>Sincerely,