[BCNnet] BCNnet: Blown away by Joel Greenberg's new book

Birdchris@aol.com Birdchris@aol.com
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 23:24:03 EDT

I just reviewed Joel's new book for a Sierra Club publication and it blew me
away. I've included my review, below, but didn't focus specially on the birds
for BCNnet readers. I just know you all will like it a lot. It answered a lot
of questions for me and old accounts of bird abundance are amazing.

I bought the book for myself for my birthday and while I hope I get some
other presents, I don't really need any!

Christine Williamson
Chicago/Cook
birdchris@aol.com

Summer Book Review
New Book on the Natural History of Chicago is Perfect Beach Reading

By Christine Williamson, Conservation Chair

Have you ever been in a forest preserve in the Chicagoland area and suddenly
realized that you can't see or hear anything that's man-made?
Does the prospect if getting lost deep in the Indiana Dunes thrill rather
than scare you?
Do you ever imagine the landscape of northern Illinois as Father Jacques
Marquette and Louis Joliet saw it in July of 1763?
If you lean toward the natural in the urban/suburban landscape you live in,
Joel Greenberg's new book, A Natural History of the Chicago Region, is
perfect summer reading. In fact, he probably describes how the very beach
where you'll be stretched out reading was formed. Or how glaciers deposited
the esker ridge in a Lake County Forest Preserve where you'd plunked down
your picnic. Or why deer are a big problem on the runways at O'Hare where you
read peacefully at the gate, waiting for your flight off to your summer
vacation.
The book was a 17-year labor of love for Mr. Greenberg, a long-time bird
watcher and dedicated conservationist. His research into the landscape around
you is exhaustive, yet Mr. Greenberg's gift is the ability to translate that
wealth of knowledge into a natural history that is actually readable. Mr.
Greenberg's distillation of more than 200 years of human habitation and the
prior 30,000 years of natural ecosystem development will change how you view
Chicagoland.
Analysis of survey maps made between 1821 and 1841, coupled with ecologists'
modern estimates of soil distribution, plant communities and wildlife
distribution lead Mr. Greenberg to conclude: "That diversity brought to the
land an almost unimaginable fertility and an abundance of life that in some
manifestations was unrivaled by any other terrestrial environment on earth.
To understand and appreciate this remarkable bounty, one must look at how it
came to be."
>From a discussion of glacial impact on northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin
and northeastern Indiana, Mr. Greenberg moves to thorough discussion of both
the original and current state of prairie, shrub land, forest, wetland, Lake
Michigan, river and stream, beach, dune and bluff ecosystems.
He moves on to discuss the fauna of the region - from those "Beleaguered
Beetles, Mystery Moths, and a Rediscovered Dragonfly: A Smattering of
Endangerd Insects" to reptiles and amphibians, birds and mammals.
I know Joel from many a National Audubon Society Christmas Bird Count dinner,
where his wit awakens and cheers up even the most frozen bird surveyor, and
it is in his section on birds that his natural prose style is at its most
compassionate.
A Natural History of the Chicago Region is actually a rather emotional and
personal book, filled with both modern and very old anecdotes about the
plants, animals and people of the Chicago area. Some are from Mr. Greenberg's
own life experiences, but many are collected from very old, first-hand
accounts of settlers.
>From an 1884 account from Lacon, Ill., for example, Mr. Greenberg found the
following on how Sandhill Cranes could be shot: "Where corn adjoined a wheat
or oat stubble, they would alight in that and then approach the corn in the
most wary skirmisher style… Shy birds? I should say they were. Here they were
always very careful in looking out for the safety of companions.. with this
one exception: the cranes… are very greedy and nearly always hungry, hence
sometimes when a bunch would visit a field.. and the grub was good and
plentiful, they all fall to eating at once, leaving no sentries. At such
times one with good care could get quite close to them… Many a one have I
laid low with my little old single shotgun."
I wondered immediately why anyone would want to shoot a Sandhill Crane: To
eat it?
Mr. Greenberg had the answer. A man in the 1830s described a woman he knew
who had a sweet tooth and just had to make some mince pies for Thanksgiving.
The man said: "Meat was pretty scarce at the time and fruits and sugar were
costly articles. But her mind was set on pie, and pie she must have. The
chopped breasts of sandhill cranes and mashed crab apples, sweetened with a
spoonful of molasses and well-spiced made that mince meat. A wedge of that
pie was enough to break the courage of the stoutest settler and never failed
in a single instance."
I can virtually guarantee that you won't find as entertaining an account of a
Sandhill Crane kept as a family pet by early Illinois settlers in any other
book you read this summer.
Sierrans often tell me how overwhelmed they get by the gloom and doom
scenario described so often in the environmental press. Mr. Greenberg doesn't
pull any punches when it comes to describing the reasons behind a reduction
in biodiversity in the Chicagoland area and the future dangers to the wild,
natural aspects of our cities, suburbs and natural areas. But this Natural
History leaves room for hope and describes the many ways that
conservationists just like you have made a difference in preserving intact or
perhaps only slightly altered, Chicagoland's natural heritage.
A Natural History of the Chicago Region is a weighty book and still only
available in hardback. But it is one book you'll keep on your shelf and refer
to often, I think, when after a Sierra Club outing you wonder what the Lake
Calumet marshes were like prior to extensive drainage. Or consider what the
original flora of your town was like as you plan natural gardening
alternatives for your yard.
Knowing what the past landscape was like informs what the future will look
like and I think Mr. Greenberg's new book will be a great help in shaping
mind sets as well as landscapes.